Medication affecting birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
manfamain
not a newbie

Medication affecting birth control

Unread post by manfamain »

Hey scarleteen,
I understand you're not doctors however I'd like some advice on the effectiveness of my birth control. I'm currently taking both steriods and antibiotics, recently I had sex with my boyfriend and he 'pulled out' as he ejactulated. We're both pretty unsure that it was a perfect withdraw, best assume it wasn't. I take my pill like clockwork but could the medication interfere with the effectiveness? I've reasearched types of antibiotics that interfere with birth control and it doesn't seem to include what I'm taking. However do steriods interfere at all?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Medication affecting birth control

Unread post by Ashleah »

HI Manfanmin,

It's best for you to check in with the doctor who prescribes your birth control. In the meantime, backing up with a condom is always a good idea when you have concerns about effectiveness (while increasing your level of protection and protecting against STIs).
manfamain
not a newbie

Unread post by manfamain »

Thanks, do you think it's worth while taking plan B in case or perhaps just talking to my doctor?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi manfamain,

If you a very concerned about pregnancy, then plan b is an option to you. I would still talk to your doctor though (although, if they new about the other medication you were on, and didn't warn you about it affecting your pill when they proscribed it, then odds are it won't interfere)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic