Birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Dolly68
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Birth control

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Hi, I was traveling in the car today. I had my pills in a luggage bag and kept them in the back of the car( was a minivan so it wasn't in a trunk- it was in the passenger seat) There were many bags in the car so mine was on top of them towards the roof of the car. When we got there I realized that the rear heat was on. It may have even been a bit high. The heat vent wasn't too far from my bag. The drive was a little more than an hour. Do you think my pills could have been affected if they were in a soft luggage bag?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth control

Unread post by Heather »

Does your pill pack look any different? Most typically, when heat has damaged pills, the blisters over them (the little plastic pockets covering each one) will look a little swollen or otherwise funky.

If they all look good, it's probably fine. And if you're backing up with a second method like condoms, this isn't something you have to worry about anyway.

For future reference, though, you ideally want to keep pills with you, like in a purse or backpack you carry on your person, not keep in a car.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Dolly68
not a newbie

Unread post by Dolly68 »

The blister pack looks completely regular. It's good to know that the blister pack would look a bit different if they were damaged. I use the pill continuously so I'm on it for about 4 continuous packs already. At this point I stopped using backup because it's so strong in my system... Do you think of my blister pack looks regular and they aren't melted or anything I still should backup or it should be fine? Thank you for your help
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Using the pill continuously doesn't change the effectiveness level of birth control pills. To be clear: whether you take placebo breaks or not, you have the exact same level of protection. So, if you stopped using condoms because you thought continuous use (which, by the way, hasn't been studied for safety in people under 18, so unless your doctor is advising that for you, we'd caution against it, since we just have no data to know what impact it may have on your long-term health) gave you more protection, know it doesn't.

Again, if you want the best protection you can get, you always want to back up. Whenever we have users posting with pregnancy worries or concerns who aren't backing up, we'll always encourage that, since clearly, users in this spot don't want to become pregnant.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Dolly68
not a newbie

Unread post by Dolly68 »

I hear you, and ok thanks. But if the blister pack looks good its good to assume the pills are still effective Right? I will backup as well. Just want to know what you think about the pill.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Already filled you in on that right at the start. :) (Not getting caught in the reassurance trap!)
Dolly68
not a newbie

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Ok, I get it. Thank you for your help.
sadiesluvsyu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: intelligence
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight female

Unread post by sadiesluvsyu »

Hi, my "distant" boyfriend and I are both virgins and want to have sex over the summer. I've been meaning to get birth control pills, but my mother disapproves (I guess it'st's because of her religious views since the everyone in the family is a Christian, and there's the whole age gap thing)/i]. Not to mention the fact that she's totally ok with the idea. :roll: But, even my "God-father"/uncle told me that he had to buy pills for his daughter, when she became sexually active. For example, the last time we got intimate we were extremely tempted, but unfortunately, his condoms were expired since we waited so long. I mean we can "hold back", ofcourse, but we'd rather be safe than sorry. It would be great to use birth control pills because I can easily put in my allergy medicine tube in my room (cause I am allergic to basically everything). There's probably a high chance I'm allergic to latex anyway! :lol: Plus, I heard birth control isn't too hard to get since you just talk to your doctor. But, I just moved to California so I don't really have one here... In my case, IT'S A STRUGGLE! :cry: I asked my friend ,who's not a virgin, and she said she could get some for me. But, as she was explaining how and when to take the pills, I was completely lost in the conversation. Is there a simplier way of explaining it step by step? And the whole period thing? When should I start so I'll be ready?

*By the way tere's no specific planned out-date yet, but since I will be in town* for a while between 27th of July and the 6th of August it will be possible, depending on plans.*

Thanks! :D
Last edited by sadiesluvsyu on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, sadiesluvsyu. Welcome to Scarleteen! :)

Can you help us starting your own thread, please? That will allows us to give you the space you deserve and to make easy our interactions.

Thanks!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic