Confused

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Dolly68
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Confused

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Hi I had some heavy staining on the pill recently. I have been on antibiotics recently and feel that maybe thats the reason. Due to the fact that I'm on the pill continuously for awhile I decided to go onto the placebo pills. Is there a problem if you switch to the placebo pills when your heavily staining? In other words can that staining be a period? Is it possible to get a period on the active pill? I'm confused because I took a placebo pill and the next morning it was light and almost gone. In other words my question really is whether that could have been my period and do you think I will ovulate before I finish the 7 placebo pills? Or do U think it was just staining and it's ok to just switch to the placebo? My basic thing I'm confused about is whether it makes a difference to switch to the placebo pills when your staining or are you supposed to try to ride it out? Also if I follow the right amount of placebo pills I should be protected next cycle no matter why I was bleeding. Correct? Im just a bit confused by the staining so if you can help me that would be great. Thanks:)
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Confused

Unread post by Redskies »

Some breakthrough bleeding or spotting - or staining, like you describe - can happen occasionally on the pill anyway. If you've been taking the pill continuously - skipping the placebo breaks - that makes bleeding while taking active pills more likely.

It's best not to go on to the placebos just when you feel like it, randomly - that makes it very confusing and very difficult for you to be sure you've taken the pill in a way where you have its proper contraceptive coverage. If you want to skip your placebos, you should take two whole packs of active pills and then have your placebo break. So, you have a placebo break only after you have taken any complete pack of active pills, not part-way through a pack.

For right now, as you've started your placebo break, you should continue with the break.

So long as you took at least one full pack of active pills correctly, and you take not more than the correct number of days for your placebo break, your pill will provide the protection from pregnancy that it should. (No method is 100% effective; the pill is 91% in typical use.)

Have you discussed skipping placebos, and how to do that correctly, with a healthcare provider?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Dolly68
not a newbie

Unread post by Dolly68 »

I did take more than one full pack forsure. I have spoken to my dr and my he ok'd it because of my extremely painful periods. He told me I can go upto a year but it's seems like my body starts staining after 3-4 months. I called him and he said its my body's way of telling me it needs a break and that I should go on the placebos. I like the idea of sticking to full packs so I have more of an idea of what's going on. Thanks for answering my questions. The only thing I'm still not clear on is whether it makes a difference if you go onto placebo pills while staining. Should you rather ride it out with active pills or that makes no difference?
taylor_alyse
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: What's not awesome??
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by taylor_alyse »

Hello!

When you ask about switching to placebo pills while you are staining, are you worried about how this will mess with your cycle?
Nothing happens in the "real" unless it first happens in the images in our heads -Gloria Anzaldúa
Dolly68
not a newbie

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Yes and if it will affect it
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

It sounds like your doctor has suggested that you take the pill in a non-standard way, so questions about how you should take it are best taken to that doctor. We can give information on standard contraceptive usage, but someone's doctor will always have the best information - full medical records! - to make decisions about how one specific person should take a medication.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic