can i take a pregnancy test while spotting/bleeding?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
zsazsa98
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

can i take a pregnancy test while spotting/bleeding?

Unread post by zsazsa98 »

So, after several weeks of freaking out, I finally got up the nerve to buy a test to put my anxiety to rest.

My question is, can I take a pregnancy test while spotting/on my period and have it be accurate? Or should I wait it out? (if this whole thing seems weird- I'm almost 99% sure I'm just being paranoid. I've had a period since the 'risk', I just also have mad crazy anxiety disorders.)

I'd like to take the test sooner rather than later, both because my anxiety is getting to nervous breakdown level and because if it turns out that I am pregnant, I need to know soon because if I am I want to terminate it.

Thank you!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: can i take a pregnancy test while spotting/bleeding?

Unread post by Heather »

That has no impact on the efficacy of a test. So it's fine to test now.

Do you currently have any mental healthcare? Sounds like you're in need of it, so if you need help finding that kind of care, we're glad to help with that.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
zsazsa98
not a newbie

That's a relief! I've been so stressed over this. It's awful with my anxiety, because it messes with my memory so much, I forget what really poses a risk or not.

I don't have any mental healthcare right now, no. I'm 17, living with parents who try to be supportive with my anxiety but usually end up doing more harm than good. There's not really any way I can see a counselor or psychiatrist regularly right now, so I'm kind of holding out for when I move away to college...not a great plan, but it's what I have I guess.

Actually, along those lines..I'm starting tri cyclen BC soon, probably after this period. It's mostly for pain and the like (my gyn. thinks I have dysmenorrhea), but I'm kind of worried about whether it'll make my anxiety worse. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Thank you so much.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Hormonal contraceptives are linked with sometimes making depression worse, but I have not seen them linked to anxiety.

Any chance you'd be up to asking your parents for their help in seeking out mental healthcare? Since you say they try and be supportive, perhaps you could communicate to them that helping you get qualified help would be one of the best ways they could do that?

Also, how about avoiding any kind of sexual activity that triggers your anxiety, especially until you can get some help learning how to better manage it?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
zsazsa98
not a newbie

I am definitely going to back off sexual activity for a while. If manual sex made me this paranoid, even with every sign pointing to a big fat "YOU'RE NOT PREGNANT!", I really need to cover all my bases and get to a more stable place before going after that again.

I'm not usually depressed, so I guess I don't have anything to worry about then. Thank you!

I know they'd be open to discussing it, and maybe even to finding another psychiatrist. The problem is that I need stability more than anything with a counselor, and with our financial position, a long term set up isn't likely. Which sucks, but I have a support system in my boyfriend and best friend that is usually decent, occasionally wonderful.

Thank you so much for your advice Heather. This website has really helped me to deal with my fears and questions. I don't know what I would have done without it, honestly. It's done wonders for filling in the gaps of my sexual "education", and putting my anxieties to rest.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

What a beautiful thanks: thank YOU!

Would you like me to take a peek around where you are tomorrow to see if you might have any local sliding-scale, low cost or no cost mental healthcare services? If so, just leave your zip code here, and I'd be happy to do that for you.

In the meantime, if you haven't read it already, "My Anxious Mind," by Dr. Michael Tompkins is my favorite book about managing anxiety in DIY ways to recommend to young people. It might be of help for you if it turns out mental healthcare has to wait.
zsazsa98
not a newbie

Sure! I'm in the Missouri 63701 area, but driving into the St. Louis 63103 or 63130 area isn't a problem.

Thank you so much!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

This page has some listings for counseling help in St. Louis, so this is where I'd start: http://www.mhaem.org/resources/local-resources.html (scroll down about halfway).

You might also check with any of those services to see if there's anything closer to you in the event that the drive to St. Louis isn't ideal.
zsazsa98
not a newbie

Pregnancy test was negative, as expected :)
I will definitely look into that link, thank you so much for this! You've been really awesome Heather :)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Aw, thanks! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic