Spotting after 2 years on same birth control pills

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
numberjuan
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Spotting after 2 years on same birth control pills

Unread post by numberjuan »

Hello Scarleteen!

Now let me preface this by saying that my regular gyn is a few hours away (I'm away at college) or else I would go to them with my question, but I figure asking here can't possibly hurt.

I've been on the same hormonal birth control pills (Levora 0.15/30) for about two years now. The only time I haven't been on them was for a short 2-month stint where I tried switching pills but I kept bleeding heavily so my doctor switched me back.

I'm very good about taking my birth control at the same time every night, give or take maybe 2 hours late every once in a while, and I use a medicine app to track it and make sure I take it daily and on time. I have not pissed any pills. These pills have worked really well for me over the years.

I've never had any spotting before while on birth control besides the normal spotting when I first started taking it, but the past week I've been spotting small amounts and having a small tint of color in my discharge (plus my body has always produced a bit extra since I first started HBC 4 years ago). What could be causing this? Is it possible that maybe my body is "too accustomed" to these pills or something at this point? I was planning on making a switch to Seasonale after finishing this pack (I have about a week and a half left of it) and already got the prescription for that, but I'm just a little concerned now because this spotting is new to me. I had already prepared myself mentally for the breakthrough bleeding that may come with switching to a continuous pill like Seasonale, but this was just unexpected! :|

Thanks!
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Spotting after 2 years on same birth control pills

Unread post by Redskies »

Welcome to the boards, numberjuan!

Mid-cycle spotting is one of the most common side-effects of hormonal birth control. For sure, it's more likely to happen shortly after starting, changing, or stopping, but it's not unusual at any point.

Are you up-to-date with your sexual healthcare, including STI tests if you've had partnered sex?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
numberjuan

I'm not worrying too much about the spotting as I know it's not uncommon at all, I just thought it a little unusual because after so long on the same HBC without the side effect, for it to show up randomly just seemed a bit off to me. Like I said, I was just thinking I had nothing to lose from asking you guys. :D

Yes, I am up to date on all tests and my monogamous partner is up to date on theirs as well. My last pap was in March and all was well and both of our blood tests came back clean shortly after that.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Asking is always okay. :)

Bodies are not machines and they are really hard to predict. Not because something never happened means it won't happen ever and vice versa. Even small changes in sleep, diet, exercise or stress can have an effect on how your body reacts.

And glad to hear you are up to date with your sexual health care and that everything is okay, just one more thing: when we are talking about test results we always try to use the word "clear" instead of "clean". That little change of words helps a lot to reduce the stigma of STI's because, when someone has an STI it doesn't mean they are dirty, just sick. That said, if you have anything else you want to discuss just let us know. :)
numberjuan

Oh- of course! I've never thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, I can definitely see it. I'll switch those words in my vocabulary when talking about STI's.

Apologies for improper terminology, and thank you for your responses!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

No worries, happens a lot. And you are very welcome. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic