Missing period

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Itsme
not a newbie

Missing period

Unread post by Itsme »

Hey,
I started my period when i was 13, and i am now 17. My periods used to be on time all the time then i went on different birth control had irregular periods/no periods. Since i've been off the pill ( june/july) my periods have always been late and in the last 2/3 months they are now always at least a week late? Why is this? I am sexually active but i took a pregnancy test today (my period is due today) but it says negative.
Thanks
Itsme
not a newbie

Re: Missing period

Unread post by Itsme »

I have an app to tell me when my period is due, so i know it's not my calculating. My cycle is 35 days at the moment, but that's going up if i miss todays period.
Itsme
not a newbie

Unread post by Itsme »

Also my periods only last 3-4 days when they used to last 6-7.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, Itsme.

Is not that uncommom for birth control to mess up with periods sometimes. This could happen when you start or when you stop taking the pill, until your body regulates again. In case this is making you uncomfortable in any way you can always check in with your healthcare provider just to make sure everything is in order. :)
Itsme
not a newbie

Unread post by Itsme »

Thanks. So how long after taking birth control does it take to make your periods back to a steady cycle?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

That could vary because not all bodies work the same way. For some it takes a couple of months, for others it would take more or less time.
Itsme
not a newbie

Unread post by Itsme »

Hi update, i need some advice. As i was saying i usually have 3-4 days period. Well imm on day 7 now. On the fist day it was the heaviest period i've had in ages with back ache i've never had before. On the 4th day the period had almosy gone but i was stull exsperiencing cramps which i normally don't. Also i kept getting a few squeezing pains in my right side (near ovary!) i don't know what it was but it was painful (unlike period pains). From the 4th to present day it has been brown spotting blood but only about 1 spot. I am very confused, as this period is very different to any i've had before and the pain?
Itsme
not a newbie

Unread post by Itsme »

The pain near my ovary was only on and off pain that time and what i mean to say it was unlike period pain
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi itsme,

If you're having pain that did not seem related to your period, then it might be time to check in with a healthcare provider to see what might be causing it, especially if the pain is ongoing or getting worse.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic