Vagina

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
TellyBelly
Awesomeness Quotient: My personality.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Mexican American

Vagina

Unread post by TellyBelly »

Okay.. So since high school I was told that vagina wasn't supposed to have a smell but I feel like mine does.. It's not a bad smell but it does have a scent. It's like a rusted coin smell mixed with a little beef jerky smell lol. Like a musky smell. I've been taking Flagyl for it but I'm not sure if it's worked yet.. Like idk if it's supposed to smell like that or what. It's make me paranoid when I think about having sex with my boyfriend.. Anyone care to help?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Vagina

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Tellybelly,

Vaginas and vaginal secretions do in fact have a smell (that will likely vary from person to person). The only time to be concerned about the smell is if it's attached to other symptoms (like a change in discharge color) that could be an indicator of infection.

Can I ask why you are concerned about the smell in regards to you boyfriend?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Also, TellyBelly, you said you were taking Flagyl for it: was that prescribed for you by a healthcare professional who had diagnosed you with a vaginal bacterial infection?

You definitely don't want to self-treat something like this. Antibiotics - which is what Flagyl is (metronidazole) - upset the natural balance of the vagina if they're not actually needed, and can also upset the balance if they're being used to treat a bacterial infection in another part of the body, and can actually make it more likely for you to get a different kind of vaginal infection, like a yeast imbalance. The vagina is self-cleaning, and adding anything else to the picture without healthcare supervision is going to make it harder for your vagina to take care of itself like it usually would. Antibiotics can also disturb the natural balance of your digestive system and have other kinds of side effects, so again, they're not a thing to take unless you have a diagnosed bacterial infection and a healthcare provider's instructions.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
TellyBelly

Sam W wrote:Hi Tellybelly,

Vaginas and vaginal secretions do in fact have a smell (that will likely vary from person to person). The only time to be concerned about the smell is if it's attached to other symptoms (like a change in discharge color) that could be an indicator of infection.

Can I ask why you are concerned about the smell in regards to you boyfriend?
I figured the whole discharge thing would indicate that I have an infection but it's nothing like that going on down there. we've been conversating about sexual activity but when it comes down to it all that's going through my head is "omg does it smell bad? I can recall washing it.." Lol I personally think it doesn't smell bad but it still has a scent and I don't like that! It bothers me.. Just paranoid about it cause like I said I don't want to disappoint him or myself.
TellyBelly

Redskies wrote:Also, TellyBelly, you said you were taking Flagyl for it: was that prescribed for you by a healthcare professional who had diagnosed you with a vaginal bacterial infection?

You definitely don't want to self-treat something like this. Antibiotics - which is what Flagyl is (metronidazole) - upset the natural balance of the vagina if they're not actually needed, and can also upset the balance if they're being used to treat a bacterial infection in another part of the body, and can actually make it more likely for you to get a different kind of vaginal infection, like a yeast imbalance. The vagina is self-cleaning, and adding anything else to the picture without healthcare supervision is going to make it harder for your vagina to take care of itself like it usually would. Antibiotics can also disturb the natural balance of your digestive system and have other kinds of side effects, so again, they're not a thing to take unless you have a diagnosed bacterial infection and a healthcare provider's instructions.
Hi. I was prescribed Flagyl by my doctor. But instead of getting myself physically checked i just told her about what was going on. I didn't feel comfortable with letting her see my vagina lol. I don't have any bad symptoms like color discharge or anything it's just the weird smell that bothers me.. Is there a way to get rid or minimize the smell? I just don't know if that's the way it's supposed to smell. Like if he's had sex with other girls that smell like me or if I'm different?.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Tellybelly,

You can read about what is and is not normal discharge here: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
If you see that you match with the symptoms that something is wrong, it may be time to go back to a healthcare provider for a check-up. However, since it's sounding like maybe you don't have those symptoms, it might be time for you to ask your doctor if it;s okay to stop taking the antibiotics (and let them actually check you out. If you're worried about an infection down there, it's best to let them actually look)

As for your boyfriend, the honest answer is that people and bodies smell. They smell like sweat, or like what you ate for dinner last night, and a whole host of other things. Vaginas have a smell and knowing and being okay with that is part of having sex with someone who has one (and if he is not mature enough to handle the fact that genitals have a smell, he's not really mature enough to have sex). Does that make sense?
TellyBelly

Sam W wrote:Hi Tellybelly,

You can read about what is and is not normal discharge here: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
If you see that you match with the symptoms that something is wrong, it may be time to go back to a healthcare provider for a check-up. However, since it's sounding like maybe you don't have those symptoms, it might be time for you to ask your doctor if it;s okay to stop taking the antibiotics (and let them actually check you out. If you're worried about an infection down there, it's best to let them actually look)

As for your boyfriend, the honest answer is that people and bodies smell. They smell like sweat, or like what you ate for dinner last night, and a whole host of other things. Vaginas have a smell and knowing and being okay with that is part of having sex with someone who has one (and if he is not mature enough to handle the fact that genitals have a smell, he's not really mature enough to have sex). Does that make sense?
Everything you wrote makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for you help Sam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic