Ovulating while on birth control?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kookykandy16
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: crazy hair
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Ovulating while on birth control?

Unread post by kookykandy16 »

I've been on the birth control pill for just over a year and have never missed a day. In this pack that I'm taking in particular, I've taken it exactly at
9 - 9:10 , 9:10 being the latest (took it at 8:35 sometime last week). Yesterday I woke up having sore nipples and small achy lower abdominal pains throughout the day. I also noticed that I was hotter than usual and had to open my window almost all the way while in the dead of winter. I'm on my 2nd row of pills and I'm more than half way done with it. If I'm not mistaken , ovulation typically occurs 2 weeks after your period and it's been exactly 2 weeks for me after my period that I've been experiencing these symptoms . Yesterday my boyfriend came to visit me and one thing led to another and we had sex. Twice. No condom or anything, just depending on the pill. He attempted to pull out but we both know some ejaculation went in both times. Should I get EC? This isn't the first time we've done this and I eventually got my period but this IS the first time we had sex without a condom or anything on the week where I surely think I'm ovulating. Conflicted on whether or not I should go buy me some EC.. I'm using Emoquette as my BC if that helps anything.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Ovulating while on birth control?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi kookykandy,

Unless you've had an issue with taking your pill that could have compromised it, there is no reason to assume it did not have its full protection. However, since it's sounding like relying only on the pill is making you uncomfortable, in the future it would be sound to use a back-up method like a condom.

I do want to check, are you and your partner up to date on STI testing?
kookykandy16
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: crazy hair
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by kookykandy16 »

Yes , my partner and I are checked up and up to date. We wouldn't do anything with eachother without knowing about our health first. However , Does it sound like I'm ovulating ? It's bugging me because I thought birth control was supposed to prevent ovulation ?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Again, if you take your pill the way it was prescribed --and sounds like you do-- then, there's no reason to believe you are not fully protected or even ovulating.

Emergency Contraception when someone is alrealy under Birth Control won't do anything your BC is not already doing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic