Birth Control Period Confusion!

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hiim.maria
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: eyes
Primary language: english
Pronouns: Maria
Sexual identity: straight

Birth Control Period Confusion!

Unread post by hiim.maria »

Before I start, I wanted to thank you guys for always providing great information and answers to my posts and everyone else's!

Sometime last week or two weeks ago, I posted about unprotected sex and birth control! I believe Heather and I spoke a bit but I am back with another question because sadly like stated before, my OBGYN sucked at her job by not providing important information about my birth control!

Anyways, hi! So I'm confused as to when I'm supposed to get my period when I'm on BC. It's my first month on it. I started January 24th and I started my brown pills yesterday, Feb. 14th. I started spotting and it kinda got a bit heavier where I needed to wear a panty liner and I had bad back cramps and it carried over to today and again it got a bit heavier. Probably got 2-3 pads covered and now there's nothing! This might sound graphic or gross but I wipe and it's just a brownish color as if I were to have had my period for days and it's finally coming to an end.

Is this normal?! I don't fear pregnancy because I used extra protection for the first 12 days of BC like instructions stated so what is going on??

Thank you so much in advance! I appreciate you guys so much!!! :)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth Control Period Confusion!

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi hiim.maria,

Generally, when you're on the pill, your period (really your withdrawl bleed) will correspond to your placebo pills. However, if you're just starting birth control, you body may go through a chunk of time where your cycle is a little off, because it's adjusting to being on the pill. In case you need it, these articles both have lots of information on the pill as well: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

Did you and Heather talk at all about ways to find a new ob-gyn, since it sounds like this one is not meeting your needs?
hiim.maria
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: eyes
Pronouns: Maria
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by hiim.maria »

I'm just a little worried because I started spotting on Sunday when it was the day of my first placebo pill.. It got a little heavy as the day went on and I had back cramps like crazy. Monday was still okay and then by Tuesday night I was pretty much just completely done?

I had unprotected sex without a condom and him finishing inside 12 days after being on birth control (I used the first 7 days with extra protection like instructed) and we had sex a few times after that where he finished inside.
On Wednesday, I got some sort of stomach illness where I threw up around 10am (my breakfast) and that was it but had severe headaches all day wednesday that carried out until Thursday (today is Friday: posting at 2am)
could I be pregnant and that was implantation bleeding?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

You mentioned some health concerns like stomach trouble and headaches. If those things are concerning you, or they don't clear up, it's a good idea to check in with an in-person healthcare provider.

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Locked Previous topicNext topic