Perfect vs Typical Use

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
ojh22
not a newbie

Perfect vs Typical Use

Unread post by ojh22 »

Hello! I was just wondering if y'all could tell me the difference between "perfect" and "typical" use when it comes to the pill and withdrawal, specifically. I looked at the calculations sheet you made with all different forms and combinations of birth control (which was very helpful by the way)! I just didn't know what defines perfect - I take the pill at the same time every day, give or take a few minutes or maximum an hour, for about half a year now. Thank you very much!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Perfect vs Typical Use

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, ojh22.

Effectiveness rates of contraceptive methods are figured based on one full year of use. When we say "perfect use" what we mean is that whatever method someone is using -- except methods like the implant, the shot or the IUD that doesn't rely on human use because once you have them you forget about everything else -- is used following all the indications required. But is good to keep in mind that people are not perfect, and even someone who is very good at taking their pill every day at the same time, there could be a day when they just took it late or even skipped it for many, many reasons. That's when the term "typical use" comes in. :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Perfect vs Typical Use

Unread post by Heather »

To be even more concise, "perfect" use rates are gathered from supervised clinical trials. Typical use rates are gathered from people's reporting about use in their daily lives. Both rates are for one full year of use.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic