Birth control + Antibotics

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Rainbowhooves
not a newbie

Birth control + Antibotics

Unread post by Rainbowhooves »

I was found to have a UTI and was given Nitrofuranton (100 mg) to treat it. I've been taking my birth control pills at the same time as the meds for the last week and in a few days I will have completed all the colored pills for the first pack of birth control

So i've read that this medication can interfear with birth control. Tomorrow night I will be taking my last dosage of it but when will my birth control be effective again? Do I have to wait a week (or more?) for it to be effective again? Where can I find information? I would like to go condomless . I've also taken the birth control each day at the same time or within a 4 hour window of missing the exact hour I take it each day,.

Edit: I'll be finishing my last dose on Sunday morning. Sorry.

Thanks
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Birth control + Antibotics

Unread post by Mo »

The best place to find information on this or any other drug interaction is the doctor who prescribed it or the pharmacy where you picked it up; you could give either place a call to check and see what they say about when your birth control will be back to full effectiveness. Using condoms, if that isn't something you're already doing, will give you enough added protection to make up for any lessened effectiveness your pill may have.
Rainbowhooves
not a newbie

Unread post by Rainbowhooves »

I cant.

I got looked at in the E.R so I cant contact them again.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

As Mo said before, this is something that would be better answered by the person who prescribed the medicine. If you cannot contact them anymore, you can always either back up with condoms or avoid the kinds of sex that pose a risk of pregnancy until your pill becomes fully effective again. When does it become fully effective again is a question that, because we are not doctors, cannot answer for sure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic