Switching birth control pills?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
dblburer

Switching birth control pills?

Unread post by dblburer »

I've been on generic Ortho Tri Cyclen for years - like over 5 years at this point, I believe. I am having a hard time getting an appointment with a gynecologist to get a refill (I live in a very rural area and appointments are hard to come by). I recently found PrjktRuby and was hoping I could order a few months of pills until I can get a gynecologist appointment. The website doesn't have a generic option for Ortho Tri Cyclen, but suggested Aubra (a generic for Alesse). I'm due to start a new pill pack next Sunday (9 days from now) and was just wondering if there would be any major issues changing between those two pills? And if I started the new pills on Sunday when I would normally start my old pills, would I still be protected? Is Alesse any less effective than Ortho Tri Cyclen?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Switching birth control pills?

Unread post by Redskies »

Obviously, extreme caution should be used if anyone's considering ordering medication online, because unlike most kinds of goods, it's not possible to know whether it's what it should be when it arrives. There are too many scammy or unreliable people doing this kind of "service".

I've left a note for my colleagues so that someone with more US-specific knowledge (I'm Europe-based) can say anything further you might need to know about that aspect.

That sounds like a rubbish situation for healthcare access! Overall, it's much better to get medication from an in-person provider than ordering it, so I'm going to suggest a few trouble-shooting options - apologies if you've tried these already! Often, doctors don't want their patients to go without medication just because they can't get another prescription in time, because they know that's not in the best interests of their patients. Are you still able to access the provider who prescribed the pill for you previously? They might be willing to write you another prescription to keep you going for a couple of months until you can get an appointment. Also, some doctors' offices can arrange telephone consultations with a doctor (especially one you've seen before), which might be enough to get you another prescription. Have you explained to the doctor's office that you need a refill on a prescription that's about to run out and you won't have your medication any more, and that's why you need an appointment and another prescription quickly?

When switching from one pill brand to another, the people who are best placed to advise you on what brand might be best for you are healthcare providers: really, it's best to get a healthcare provider's recommendation that's personal to you and your own healthcare information.

Some general information on switching pills: there's no difference in effectiveness between one brand of combined pill and another. There are slight differences between the formulations and amounts of hormone, which make a difference to the kinds of side effects that some people experience (but not others), and some people's bodies and/or other health needs get along better with one kind of formulation than others - it's an individual body thing! Different formulations are equally effective at preventing pregnancy. Sometimes, some people experience some temporary side effects when switching pill brand while their body adjusts to the change, similarly to how some people can have side effects when starting or stopping the pill. When switching from one combined pill to another, changing brand in itself won't impact your contraceptive coverage: you'd just want to make sure that you don't have any extra placebo days between them than you normally have. So yes, starting a different brand of pill on the day you would have started the old one is the right way to do it :) Of course, if you want the extra peace of mind of feeling super-sure, you can always back up for a while with a second method like condoms.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
dblburer

Unread post by dblburer »

The website I'm hoping to order from seems very reliable - I've seen multiple articles about it online - but maybe you all know more about it? www.prjktruby.com

The office I originally got the prescription from will do one refill before an appointment (which I've already used). It's a super busy office with about 8 different practitioners and the secretaries who answer the phone are often very short with you. I'm very hesitant to even go back there at all because last year I waited for 4 hours before they "realized" they forgot to put my chart in the lineup to be seen. Any other office has to put me down as a new patient and since I'm not pregnant I end up with a month+ of a wait for an appointment. The nearest Planned Parenthood is about an hour and a half from me. :(
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

That service pretty sound, IMO. (And also awesome!)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
summergirlxo
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: kindness
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: girl

Unread post by summergirlxo »

Hi! I am currently on the first week of my birth control... about to go into my second week. I am switching from one brand to the other. Can I keep going on the normal schedule of my old pack?
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi summergirlxo, you can start your own thread when you are on your preferred board and click "New Topic" right at the top under the board title.

With your question, if they're different brands of the same drug and same dose then indeed you can keep following the same schedule.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic