Missed pill/protection

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
daisydaisydaisy
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Missed pill/protection

Unread post by daisydaisydaisy »

Hi,

I missed a pill (it was over 12 hours late but under 24 hours), waited 7 days without having sex and had condomless sex a few hours after taking the 8th pill. Was I back to my normal protection status?

As well as this, I had previously skipped my break week. Did the missed pill count as my break and therefore not lower my protection status? I'm on Microgynon, which is a combo pill.

Thank you!
Sam W
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Missed pill/protection

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi daisy,

With the late pill, did you follow the directions for your specific brand of pill about how to make up a late or missed pill? And did you also follow the directions for how long to wait for it to get back to full effectiveness?
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
daisydaisydaisy
not a newbie

Sam W wrote:Hi daisy,

With the late pill, did you follow the directions for your specific brand of pill about how to make up a late or missed pill? And did you also follow the directions for how long to wait for it to get back to full effectiveness?
Hi!

It said to use condoms/backup protection for seven days. I made up the late pill around 17 hours after
I was supposed to take it and then abstained until a couple of hours after I took my 8th pill. I'm just confused as to if my protection was back to normal after 7 days?

Thanks again (:
Sam W
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

So, this is one of those places where we can't give a definite answer. In theory by following the directions for your pill you brought the effectiveness back up to normal. However, we usually advice people to back up with condoms for the remainder of that pill pack to be on the safe side, just in case the effectiveness doesn't return to where it needs to be.

Also, just to check, are you and your partner up to date on your STI testing?
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
daisydaisydaisy
not a newbie

Sam W wrote:So, this is one of those places where we can't give a definite answer. In theory by following the directions for your pill you brought the effectiveness back up to normal. However, we usually advice people to back up with condoms for the remainder of that pill pack to be on the safe side, just in case the effectiveness doesn't return to where it needs to be.

Also, just to check, are you and your partner up to date on your STI testing?
Thanks for the reply! Yes I'm up to date with STI testing :)

I was wondering if I could ask another question?
I left my pills out on my windowsill, but they were all in the box they came in as well as a paper bag. The weather outside didn't reach more than 18 degrees Celsius, but I'm more worried if the sun could have caused damage/lowered the protection? Everything looks normal but just wanted to check if I would notice a difference.
Thank you!
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi daisy,

I am inclined to say that should not alter the pills effectiveness but the only way to know for sure is going to be based off any instructions or brand specific information for the kind of pills you are taking. While oral contraceptives can be susceptible to heat damage, that usually occurs around the 27-30 Celsius range - and again those numbers are going to be different and unique depending on the type and the brand.
daisydaisydaisy
not a newbie

Carmen wrote:Hi daisy,

I am inclined to say that should not alter the pills effectiveness but the only way to know for sure is going to be based off any instructions or brand specific information for the kind of pills you are taking. While oral contraceptives can be susceptible to heat damage, that usually occurs around the 27-30 Celsius range - and again those numbers are going to be different and unique depending on the type and the brand.
It says store below 25 Celsius on the box, but I wasn't sure if it being in the light was worse. It was a lot lower than that temperature wise, and my room doesn't get a lot of light as there's a building opposite.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Carmen
not a newbie

Unread post by Carmen »

Sounds like kept your pills stored in a place below 25 Celsius and according to the directions their effectiveness shouldn't be altered :)
daisydaisydaisy
not a newbie

Carmen wrote:Sounds like kept your pills stored in a place below 25 Celsius and according to the directions their effectiveness shouldn't be altered :)
Thank you so much for the help! I really do appreciate it, hope you have a great day :) x
Carmen
not a newbie

Unread post by Carmen »

Thanks Daisy! You too :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic