How to tell the difference.

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Liz_1014
not a newbie

How to tell the difference.

Unread post by Liz_1014 »

How to differentiate between decidual bleeding and a regular menstrual period?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: How to tell the difference.

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Liz,

Decidual bleeding will not last as long as a period, will not look or feel like a period, and will not come when you're expecting a period.
Liz_1014
not a newbie

How come on here it says decidual bleeding is nothing like a period, but online it says thats it's very similar.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I believe Sam was talking about implantation bleeding by mistake: our apologies. :)

Decidual bleeding is a term for bleeding people who are pregnant experience -- bleeding that can happen with similar timing to a period, and feel light a light period, but usually only for a cycle or two). Pregnant people do not get menstrual periods.

So, if someone has tested positive for pregnancy -- and thus, that someone is pregnant -- and is having bleeding for a cycle or two that's similar to a menstrual cycle, it's decidual bleeding. If someone has tested negative, and thus, isn't pregnant, it's a menstrual period.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Liz_1014
not a newbie

I've only gotten a second line on a home pregnancy test after the 10 minute time limit. (The line was colored or colorless) I know you are not supposed to read the results after that time, but I read that early on in a pregnancy the second line takes a while to show up, what if I'm actually pregnant? I also read that home pregnancy test are qualitative test and not quantitative test so it would give me a negative result after a while when my hcg is too high. I don't know what to do. What are some ways to know for sure if you are pregnant or not without a blood test? Can you feel your abdomen like doctors do to tell? Plus, I had sex on the last day of my period in March. Since the egg was already shed and I don't ovulate right away so the sperm won't survive for 5 days to fertilize it does that mean that my chance at becoming pregnant was highly unlikely right??? I was also on birth control around this time and I cant remember if I took it the night before or 100% consistent. I never got a second line right away it was always after about 2 hours.
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Carmen »

We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I think this article about pregnancy tests will be helpful to read; in particular it talks about the difference between qualitative & quantitative tests and the importance of not looking at the results after a certain time: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Taking a pregnancy test is the only reliable way to know if you're pregnant. If you aren't comfortable with the results of your test, you can always take another one, or go to a doctor to take one.
Locked Previous topicNext topic