Problems with parents

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
watermeloncraze

Problems with parents

Unread post by watermeloncraze »

My partner and I have been together for nearly two years, but it seems as though my family wants to tear that away from me because he doesn't live up to their standards. I feel as though the standards are double for me than for my siblings, and even though the standards are higher for me my parents don't seem to have much time to listen or pay attention to me. I'm also upset that my grandmother has said to me that I will end up supporting my partner. It is all very frustrating because, my partner makes me happy and its as though I have to choose sides between their happiness and my own.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Problems with parents

Unread post by Karyn »

That's definitely a rough spot to be in, feeling like you have to choose sides.

Have you brought up these concerns with your family at all? It sounds like there are a few different issues kind of tied together here, with how they feel about your partner, what they expect of you, and the lack of communication with your parents. So, if you've discussed those things with them, or tried to, how have those conversations gone? If you haven't, is that something you feel would be helpful?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic