Tested Positive

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
FairyEve
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Tested Positive

Unread post by FairyEve »

I religiously use condoms I am always safe with my partners and get routine testing done every 8-12 weeks. My tests always come back negative. During the exam I was told I have genital warts, which they needed to freeze the warts, she did it 3 times. She did swabs and said everything else looked good. She talked to me about it. Recommended I get the Gardasil shots, which are 3 separate injections. It's not covered usually and costs $600 for the entire vaccine. I mentioned that I need to think about it and make a phone call to my drug insurance and see if it's covered or if they can reduce the price.

I have a few questions regarding HPV and Genital Warts:
Is there a blood test that I should be getting or doing to test for HPV?

I go back in two weeks for another treatment so they can freeze it again.
Does the first treatment take a long time to actually make them fall off/go away, like a time frame?

How do I keep myself safe, so I am not contracting it to other parts of my body, if that is even possible to do? I wash my hands after using the bathroom. For instance, shaving, is it bad to shave and if I do should I throw my razor out after I've used it in the area where I am shaving the hair?

If condoms are used during intercourse, can I still engage in sex?
I was told different things because I always use condoms and someone can still contract it cause it's skin to skin contact.

Oral sex performed on me:
Before I got tested, partners did oral sex on me, would they contract it in their mouth because of me or would it show up on their penis?

Them touching me, then on themselves/body would that transmit the infection?

I read things about it, some of my questions weren't available in places I've googled, i.e WebMD, Planned Parenthood, etc., so I came here to ask them.

I am not upset about it because overall I practice safe sex (aside them performing oral on me and sometimes I do oral without a condom, mostly with a condom) so I wasn't careless during my activities.

I very much appreciate the help and time.
Thank you.
Sam W
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Tested Positive

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Fairyeve,

In terms of the specifics of this treatment, the best person to direct those questions to is the doctor who will be performing it.

I think these two articles might help you address your other concerns. If there's still anything that you're unclear on after reading them, just let us know:
HPV & Herpes: Why Safer Sex Isn't Always Safe Enough
The STI Files: Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
FairyEve
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Unread post by FairyEve »

Thank you for the links, Sam. I have a few questions.

So, there isn't an actual test to test HPV, like which 40 different strains someone would have? But they can look under a microscope to see in some cases?

How would they know if they're is 40 different strains if they're isn't a test, if they're is a test, what is it called so I can request it when I return?

I've looked this question up on google search a few times and I am wondering if I could do something to relieve some of the uncomfortableness I am feeling:

My vagina (like the entire area outside, around the lips mostly, not where the clitoris is or vaginal opening) is sore, like it aches. I am not sure if it's because of the freezing and the warts are healing but I used to be able to feel the small bumps (which weren't in the vagina area, they were on the right outer lips on the skin, not on the vagina skin) which I can't feel. I'm also having slight cramping too. I know it's normal to feel like that, is there anything I could do for relief besides taking over the counter medication? Basically, mainly is sore and achy in the area of the freezing I got Thursday.

Thank you.
Sam W
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Fairyeve,

For the soreness, I'd suggest calling a pharmacist or the doctor who performed the freezing. My guess is that you could take normal painkillers, but they can confirm that and give you more detailed treatment ideas.

There are ways to test to see if the strain of HPV present is a high risk one. That's called a HPV digene test.
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic