Topical Antibiotic

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Kim_2704
not a newbie
Primary language: Spanish/English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Topical Antibiotic

Unread post by Kim_2704 »

Hello! I've been on the pill for +2 years now and I recently switched from Diane 35 to Microgynon 30 due to a lower risk of blood clots with the latter (gives some peace of mind). However, one of the benefits I got from my previous pill was veeery clear skin and oil control. Maybe it's the different progesterone component in my current pill, but i'm getting some minor breakouts that i've been advised to treat with a mix of topical clindamicine and adapalene. Do these kinds of antibiotics have any impact on my birth control effectiveness, since I won't be ingesting them?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Topical Antibiotic

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Kim,

You can read all about what things do and do not interfere with your birth control here: Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control
Kim_2704
not a newbie
Primary language: Spanish/English
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by Kim_2704 »

Well, it doesn't mention any topical antibiotics, so am I correct to interpret that they don't interfere?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Yep, if you don't see something listed then that's a sign it's not cause for concern. Too, if you want to double check, you can call the pharmacist or healthcare provider and ask them to confirm that there won't be any interference.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic