Did I do safe sex properly? Pretty paranoid right now!

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
EightyHD
Awesomeness Quotient: I am friendly af
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him

Did I do safe sex properly? Pretty paranoid right now!

Unread post by EightyHD »

Let me start off by saying this is the first time I've ever had sex, and that I worry a lot.

Me and my girlfriend were getting frisky last night and junk and, well we had sex. Safe sex. We only used a male condom, she isn't on the pill or the patch. And my condom was on from the minute I unbuckled my jeans.

When I took my condom off I didn't take it off inside out I just slowly pulled it until it came off, and I did not *** in the condom (there might be some pre-*** in there) and I came afterward

After I came on her (her face not her cooter or tummy) she laid on the condom but it was on her back, and she is two days or so away from getting her period (I heard that it's safe to do it just before or just after her period, and her cycle is pretty normal)

Idk.. what do you guys think? And are there any more precautions that I can take to make our sex life safer? Her and I are not ready for children and our parents would KILL us. Thank you so much.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Did I do safe sex properly? Pretty paranoid right now!

Unread post by Heather »

Sounds to me like you used your condom properly. Hooray for you! (In the future, though, you probably want to throw it out though, if for no other reason than wiping spooge off your own back can be tricky. :P)

Sounds like you'd like to talk about your options from here on out when it comes to preventing pregnancy. One of the easiest ways to do that -- and the thing that has been proven to work the best to prevent pregnancy -- is to use dual contraception: to use two methods instead of just one.

Technically, you used withdrawal + condom, so you did use two. But you can get even better protection by making one of those methods something that's more effective than withdrawal, and works a different way than condoms and withdrawal do, like say your partner using a hormonal method of contraception, or a highly effective method like an IUD or implant. There's really no other method for *you* to add, since you're already using condoms.

So, if that's something she's interested in, she can give herself a walkthrough to find methods best suited to her wants and needs here: Birth Control Bingo!

You (and she as well, if she's interested) can also check out the effectiveness rates for different combined methods here: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic