Question about EC (Plan B)

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
xiaociao
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Female

Question about EC (Plan B)

Unread post by xiaociao »

Hi again! It's been ages and I tried to find my post but I couldn't so sorry in advance for giving you more posts to look at!

Update on my life - I did talk to someone about my issues and felt alright after and so my boyfriend and I took it slow by not doing anything for months till we were actually ready. Around this month he came to visit (were in a long distance relationship) We already got ourselves ready with condoms and are more careful with what we were going to do with each other (sexually). We did it once. He didn't cum in me nor my genitals was even close to him so I know for sure I was safe. We tested the condom as well for leaks but there was none. But just in case we went to the pharmacy the next day and asked for an EC and she showed me all the possible side effects.

I experienced the nausea and headaches already but I haven't experienced the random spotting or bleeding. Is it normal not to experience all side effects? Thanks
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Question about EC (Plan B)

Unread post by Redskies »

Yes, it's absolutely normal not to experience all the possible side effects of a medication. Side effects are things that may or may not happen, extra to the main effect that you take the medication for. With emergency contraception, which side effects - if any - an individual person has depends on their particular body's exact response to the medication, and it doesn't mean anything about the effectiveness of the EC.

When you're using a condom, and you used it correctly and it seems fine (there's no need to "test" a condom after use, any breaks will be very obvious), there's not really a need to take EC. If you're not feeling secure enough from the protection of a condom as a single method, would you like to talk about which other non-emergency methods you might like to pair condoms with for the future? There's no problem with taking EC when it wasn't truly needed, it's just that for longer-term use, regular methods are more effective and cheaper.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic