Period and Negative Pregnancy Test

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Camille54
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Period and Negative Pregnancy Test

Unread post by Camille54 »

Hello! :)

I just want to ask:
Does getting your period and negative pregnancy tests a few days after intercourse mean that you aren't pregnant?

Thank you!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Period and Negative Pregnancy Test

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Camille,

It looks like we've gone over the period part of this question with you before, so I won't repeat it here. If you're wondering about pregnancy tests, as long as you followed directions for the specific test you bought on when and how to test, you should be able to trust the result. You can read more about that here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests
Camille54
not a newbie

Hello!

What I'm confused about is:

Can a girl get pregnant even after having her period 1 week after she had intercourse?

*Note: period came in just 3 days late, therefore still the expected/regular date

What confuses me is some say it takes weeks for pregnancy to occur and not just days. But in one of my posts, one answer was "period means pregnancy did not occur." So what should I believe in since it confuses me? Does this mean since it's only been a week and she got her period, can she still be pregnant or not since she got her period - automatically, pregnancy did not occur?

I would really appreciate a response. Thank you and good day :)
Last edited by Camille54 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camille54
not a newbie

Sam W wrote:Hi Camille,

It looks like we've gone over the period part of this question with you before, so I won't repeat it here. If you're wondering about pregnancy tests, as long as you followed directions for the specific test you bought on when and how to test, you should be able to trust the result. You can read more about that here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Hello!

What I'm confused about is:

Can a girl get pregnant even after having her period 1 week after she had intercourse?

*Note: period came in just 3 days late, therefore still the expected/regular date

What confuses me is some say it takes weeks for pregnancy to occur and not just days. But in one of my posts, one answer was "period means pregnancy did not occur." So what should I believe in since it confuses me? Does this mean since it's only been a week and she got her period, can she still be pregnant or not since she got her period - automatically, pregnancy did not occur?

I would really appreciate a response. Thank you and good day :)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi there, the best answer we can give you is from this article http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... ds_and_sex
"Pregnancy isn't something that happens instantly: it's a process which takes around a week or so to complete. However, because a period has you shedding the lining needed for a fertilized egg to implant in, and because around the time a period starts, there usually is not an egg available to be fertilized, it would be very unusual to become pregnant with timing like this. When you get your period after a risk -- so long as it comes around the time you expected it and looks and feels like your usual period -- it's usually safe to assume pregnancy did not or is not going to occur from that risk."
Camille54
not a newbie

Sam W wrote:Hi there, he best answer we can give you is from this article http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... ds_and_sex
"Pregnancy isn't something that happens instantly: it's a process which takes around a week or so to complete. However, because a period has you shedding the lining needed for a fertilized egg to implant in, and because around the time a period starts, there usually is not an egg available to be fertilized, it would be very unusual to become pregnant with timing like this. When you get your period after a risk -- so long as it comes around the time you expected it and looks and feels like your usual period -- it's usually safe to assume pregnancy did not or is not going to occur from that risk."
Thank you! This helped a lot! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic