Mid-cycle cramps on BC pill confusion

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
suchening
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Mid-cycle cramps on BC pill confusion

Unread post by suchening »

Hi all,
My last 2 cycles I've been getting abdominal & back pain during the middle of my cycle while on the birth control pill Blisovi Fe 1-20. I've been on this BC for 3 months. Like a lot of you, I was on Gildess Fe 1-20 until it was recalled. I had to take a gap month without BC pills because I ran out of refills and by the time I received more refills (on the replacement Blisovi pill) I had already gone a week without the pills. September was my last month on Gildess and November was my first month on Blisovi. I started my first pack on Blisovi in the middle of the week and started the 2nd pack 2-3 days after my period started, on a Sunday. My first period on Blisovi was very light. I had no problems with it that first month. However, in December, I started getting back & abdominal pain and it lasted a week & a half. I would occasionally feel nauseous too and I threw up once. I would occasionally get twinges of pelvic pain too. That led me to freak out because I had sex for the first time almost a week before with my current boyfriend. I went to my doctor and she told that I had a UTI (I had no classic UTI symptoms like burning while urinating or the urge to urinate, only the pain). I did get my period though, the 2nd day of my placebo pills. After my period was over I was pain free for a little over a week before I started getting abdominal pain again, as well as nausea. I went to the local clinic, because I wasn't able to see my doctor that same day. I took a urine test but this time the results came back negative. The doctor told me my pain could be related to the previous UTI or because I have a new sexual partner. Part of me thinks that having the abdominal/back pain at the same time I was diagnosed with a UTI is just a coincidence & that my pain from last month was not caused by my UTI. I am wondering if the pain could be because my body is still getting used to Blisovi since I've only been on it a few months. I'm not concerned about pregnancy because I haven't had sex with my boyfriend since before my last period and during instances of foreplay his ejaculation wasn't near my vagina. I am supposed to start my next period in less than a week and I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems like these and if I should schedule for a pelvic exam if these problems persist after my next period. Thanks everyone! :)
Last edited by suchening on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Mid-cycle cramps on BC pill confusion

Unread post by Karyn »

Cramps and nausea can be a side effect of the pill, but can I ask when your last sexual health checkup was, and when you and your partner were last screened for STIs?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
suchening
not a newbie
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by suchening »

My last check-up was my annual with my NP in the beginning of December, before I had sex. When I went to the doctor (the same time I was told I had a UTI) a sample of my urine was taken to test for STDs, and the results came back negative. My partner has also been checked and has no STDs either.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Okay. Some STIs and other infections can be tested for with a urine sample, but not all, so I'd suggest that you get a pelvic exam and full screening (you can read about what that involves in this piece) and then if those results are all negative, it's likely this is related to the pill. After that, if you're still having these symptoms in a couple of months, you'll want to see if switching to a different brand of pill lessens side effects for you, as everyone's body reacts to each pill formulation slightly differently.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic