IUD and anxiety

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Lillithxambrose
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I stand out
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

IUD and anxiety

Unread post by Lillithxambrose »

I've had my skyla IUD since last August and I've loved it. I was always horrible with taking the pill and felt it gave me some side effects I first care for. I check to be sure my strings are still there at least once a month and so far everything has been good. I've also got anxiety about most things in life but pregnancy always scared me more than anything, so hence the IUD. And with it I've felt more confident than ever, I've been able to let myself enjoy my sex more than worry about it even if two forms of BC aren't being used.

Yet I've fallen into some horrible spiral lately where I'm having health issues and flinging myself into a panic. I had idiopathic ibs/constipation brought of by a huge week of stress and then a week late I've acquired a cold/flu in the midst of PMS week. Even though I'm confident in the BC and I've addressed my anxiety does anyone else just have a spiral where they panic? Or am I just special? Haha im not asking because I'm needing help with a pregnancy scare but just wondering if I'm the only one who's still got an uneasy feeling at times even with the 'safest' BC out there.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: IUD and anxiety

Unread post by Karyn »

Getting into a spiral of anxiety isn't uncommon at all, and if BC is something you worry about, then it's not surprising you've had one of those spiralling panics about it. Seeking out a form of BC that is very effective is a great step towards managing anxiety, but anxiety is often irrational so it's also important to learn to address those anxious feelings when they happen. Have you ever had any sort of counselling or therapy?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Lillithxambrose
not a newbie

I've been to therapy once but it was for an abusive relationship that ended and being young I didn't realize how manipulate my ex was being. I've talked to my Healthcare provider and OBGYN about my anxiety and that's where the use of an IUD came in but I've not gone to a councilor due to my busy work schedule and I've honestly never thought about it. I usually just took some deep breaths and tried to not worry and if I did I thought logically about what I've done recently sexyally and if real crippling fear happened I got a test and when they came back negative I just quietly dealt until my period started. I don't want my family or boyfriend to think differently of me as well if I started to go because I don't want him to feel like I don't enjoy sex with him, which I do. He's very supportive and sweet but I don't want to be offensive I guess?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I would hope your boyfriend wouldn't be offended or think you didn't enjoy sex with him if he knew you were anxious about pregnancy, or if you sought out some mental healthcare! Have you talked with him about your current anxiety spiral that you feel caught in right now? It might be helpful to have him clued into how you're feeling at the moment; he'd probably want to know how you're doing and how he can be supportive.
I definitely sympathize with how it feels to be stuck in a place like that, where one thing can kick up a lot of fears and worry about other things that don't usually cause a lot of anxiety. If you find that it would help your pregnancy fears to take a break from intercourse or any other kind of sex that poses a pregnancy risk, then that might be something to do in the short term, while you ride out the worst of this patch of anxiety.

If you haven't already done this, one thing that might help you feel a little more secure is to use condoms if and when you have intercourse in the future. We have some information on the combined effectiveness of 2 forms of birth control here: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method so you can get a better idea of how helpful that is. :)
Lillithxambrose
not a newbie

I have let him know and he's definitely here for me but he's also just kind of distant anyway? Like not in a bad way but he just helps me talk threw everything like the last period I had in reference to the last time we did something and if I've checked my strings and if I'm just seeming more stressed and then cuts the conversation because he knows I'll just start making small things into a scare that's not there. Which is helpful, because that's what I tend to do haha.

I'very doubled up BC with a condom before, either that or withdraw but we usually don't use one as bad (as that is for my anxiety I know haha) but we so infrequently have sex that could pose a risk that I guess we've stopped doubling. The last time we did anything, I had a period after words and then I started having my ibs issue and decided to take a test and that came back negative. Then I got this cold and it's smack dab in the middle of being just a few days before my period should start, and we did fool around this passed weekend so that's where I'm sitting now. I know I've got a very small chance of anything being wrong besides the horrible cold I have but gosh darn PMS symptoms for being so vague! I'm considering just taking another test to maybe give me peace of mind or something like that.

Do you know of anything anywhere that could be like an online counseling for anxiety or something? Maybe that would be helpful since I'm not really available to go to an actual office.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Mo »

We have a page with links to some Anxiety and Other Mental Health Resources that you might find helpful! :)
Lillithxambrose
not a newbie

Thank you so much Mo! I'll be sure to look into them. In the mean time I'm trying to take it easy and just relax and try to not be overly thinking about things.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Mo »

That sounds like a good plan to me. :)
Lillithxambrose
not a newbie

A follow up question now that I think of it, as far as IUDs go, how common is it really that some form of pregnancy can happen if it's in place properly? I keep finding all sorts of things saying that even it has its moments which I totally understand, but I didn't know if there was a 'after having it in for xyz amount of time'. Mine hasn't even been in for a year so I was curious as I continue to search for an anxiety site that would be helpful for me.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, Lillithxambrose. :)

You can find the answer to your question -- and lots or more info about the IUD! -- in this next link: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control ... evices_iud

Also, I want to echo what Mo already mentioned before about backing up your IUD with a second method. If and when we found out that we are not feeling safe enough with just one method, using another one can be great help to keep our minds at ease.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic