Am I too young for a vibrator?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
itssixmilesdeep
Awesomeness Quotient: i like neil young
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Am I too young for a vibrator?

Unread post by itssixmilesdeep »

Hi, i'm a [...] female virgin, i masturbate regularly (at least once a day) and am generally really comfortable with my sexuality and talking about sex but I'm currently feeling a bit stuck! I'd really like a vibrator from Ann Summers(a sex store), i've done plenty of research into different products that are safe and simple and would be suited to my needs and wants, I've found one that i feel would heighten my pleasure, and i feel like i'm ready, competent and comfortable to use a vibrator, but i'm not sure how i'd be able to get one! I feel uncomfortable talking to my parents about it, my dad is under the impression that i'm still a young girl and oblivious to the world of sex, and my mum is quite conservative and would certainly not react well if i asked for a vibrator! I've been trying to wok out how i could buy one using the internet but i don't have my own credit/debit card and my parents would find out if i used their cards or paypal accounts. I think I would be allowed into an Ann Summers store as i am very tall and mature looking, but i know it's risky as well as dishonest, and my nearest Ann Summers store is a train and bus journey away anyway! I do feel like i understand all the facts about safety and hygiene, and I am mature and wouldn't snigger or be confused at the sight of a sex toy like I know many young people my age would (including many of my own friends and classmates). I've a lot of thought and consideration into what I want and need, but I don't know what to do at this stage. I don't want to have to wait another four years to be able to get something I've been pining after for several months already! What do you think I should do? Please help! Izzy
Last edited by Jacob on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed age for SEO reasons
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Am I too young for a vibrator?

Unread post by Mo »

Hi Izzy,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is a great way for you to get this particular vibrator for yourself. As you said, without credit cards of your own there's really no way to do business online. The only solution I could think of here is if you had a prepaid credit card; sometimes people will get those as gifts and can use them like any other credit card. I suppose if there's anyone in your life who tends to give you gift certificates as presents you could mention this, but it's a little awkward and, in most situations, rude to dictate what sort of gift someone gives you!
In terms of going to the store yourself, I know that most stores of this nature are very meticulous about checking the ids of customers who come in, so despite how old you look you will probably not be able to do this in person.

There are some drug stores & big box stores that sell vibrators (often labeled as "personal massagers") and although the selection at places like these will be much smaller, that may be your best option at this point.
itssixmilesdeep
Awesomeness Quotient: i like neil young
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by itssixmilesdeep »

Hi, thank you very much for such a quick reply, as you said it might be a bit rude to ask for a prepaid credit card, but i'll look into what you said about pharmacies, that sounds like a good idea!
sexpositivity94
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My Open-mindedness. Try Me. :D
Primary language: English (American)
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Sexual identity: Predominantly Hetero/Cis Girl

Unread post by sexpositivity94 »

I totally get where you are coming from. I was in a similar situation a few years ago, but I had my own credit card, so I was able to purchase one.

The only other thing I can think of is to ask a close and accepting friend/relative to buy one for you. I know may be awkward, but if you have someone who can legally buy a sex toy in a store or can use their own credit card to buy one online, you could tell them what you wanted and they could give it to you privately.

Also, about the gift card thing, you don't have to ask someone for a sex toy gift card. If an online sex toy shop takes American Express or Visa, its likely that they will take an American Express or Visa gift card, so you could just ask for one of those instead.

And Mo is right. One of the most popular vibrators is actually a back/neck massager- the Hitachi Magic Wand. However, I've heard this one is super powerful though, so you might want to go easier for your first time. You could probably get a 'personal massager' from Brookstone or Bed Bath and Beyond- those are the only stores (online too!) that I know of, there might be others where you live.

I'm not sure if this helps. Good Luck!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi itssixmilesdeep,

I just wanted to throw this article your way in case you're interested in ways to try out some different vibrator options that are D.I.Y while you work out how to get one from a store.
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... ve_edition
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic