Depo Shot Length of Effectiveness

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Anyone
Pronouns: him

Depo Shot Length of Effectiveness

Unread post by Anyone »

Hello,

My girlfriend and I had sex and actually had a condom break when she was about half a week late for her depo shot. (12 and a half weeks since last injection). I noticed when it broke and put on a new condom before we I finished but its possible pre cum could have gotten inside her. My question is how long is Depo effective before I need to worry about a chance for pregnancy. I have read that there is a two week grace period after the 12 week mark but that information is all at least a year old so I just wanted to make sure. She will not be getting her next shot for at least another 2 weeks.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Depo Shot Length of Effectiveness

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello, Anyone. Welcome to Scarleteen. :)

The doctor should have given your girlfriend a time window in which to get the next shot. After that window is really hard to know how long someone is going to be still protected. If the risk happened no more than 5 days ago, there is the option of Emergency Contraception in case your girlfriend wants it.

HEre is the information we have about EC: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... traception
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic