Weight and Birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Jellowl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm very chill and happy
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Weight and Birth control

Unread post by Jellowl »

I read somewhere that if you are above a certain weight, your pill will be less effective in preventing pregnancy. Is this true or some sort of phoney fact?

When I started the pill 8 months ago, I was 143lbs; I am now 153lbs. My doctor did say that I should expect a growth in my appetite and that I may notice some weight gain in the future, around 10lbs or so (Spoilers; he predicted, it happened. Not too upset about that). I'm around 5'6'' in height with a weight of 153lbs; do you think this would cause a shift in the effectiveness?

No worries if you don't have an answer, but I hope you have a great day! :D
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Weight and Birth control

Unread post by Heather »

Here's the scoop: when prescribing any medication to patient, the prescribing physician or ANRP takes height and weight into account. So, with medications whose efficacy does vary based on body size, they will be prescribing accordingly to assure your pill will work for you.

There has been some lack of study with combined hormonal methods (specifically the patch) for those over a certain weight, but you're not at that weight (it's over 165 pounds, if you're curious).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic