Sore Breasts

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
celica2003
not a newbie
Primary language: American English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Sore Breasts

Unread post by celica2003 »

Dear Scarleteen,

I have been on low dose birth control pills for over a year now. When I first started birth control, I had super sore breasts all of the time, but that side effect has been gone for several months now. This month, they have randomly become sore again during the last active pill week of my pill pack. I am not super worried that I am pregnant because I take my pill at the exact same time every night and my fiance and I use spermicidal condoms and withdrawal every single time as backup protection when we have sex. It does not make sense to me though why this side effect has come back if my pill dosage has not changed. The only thing that has changed, is that for the past two months I have been on a really strict diet with lots of exercise to train for a 5k and this month I have been so busy that my diet and the workouts have ceased temporarily. Could an abrupt change in diet, exercise, and stress level cause other hormonal changes in my body that are making my breasts so sore? Thanks so much in advance!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Sore Breasts

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi celica,

We can't say for certain what the source of the tenderness is. It could be that the side effects of the pill are changing again (which can happen) or, depending on where in your cycle you are, the soreness might be linked to as soon-to-arrive period. If the soreness is ongoing, it might be sound to check in with your healthcare provider, as that can help you rule out some possible causes.
celica2003
not a newbie
Primary language: American English
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by celica2003 »

Ok thank you so much for your help! Just to make sure I understand, even though I've been on the pill for several months, the way my body reacts to it (as far as side effects) can still change? And I have an appointment with my doctor in the next couple weeks to renew my pill prescription so I will definitely ask her about it then.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Yep, you got it. And talking with your doc at your next appointment sounds like a good plan :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic