Sexual harrassment and how to deal?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
maybenot

Sexual harrassment and how to deal?

Unread post by maybenot »

Three years ago, a close friend of mine "touched me" on my thighs in a way that didn't feel right. This was during a family swimming trip, and until now I feel super weird about it. I know it was totally wrong, and he didn't just do it once during that time. During the rest of the trip all I felt was uncomfortable. It still freaks me out. I know it sounds really shallow, but I just trusted him in a brotherly manner and it just totally shocked me when he did that. I don't know what to do. I don' feel comfortable telling my parents about it in fear that they might tell my friend's parents (especially since three years have passed since that day, and my parents are actually close with his), and I haven't told anybody else except for my sister and a few friends. What should I do?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Sexual harrassment and how to deal?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Maybenot,

Ultimately, it's up to you decide what things will help you deal with and move on from what happened. So, if that's talking with more people about it, then go for it. I will say that, if this person is still in your life, do you still feel uncomfortable around them? If so, avoiding them would be sound, including mentioning to your parents (if you feel comfortable with it), so that they are less likely to arrange get-togethers and similar that would put you and this person in the same space.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic