Birth Control and Blood Clots

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
raeofsunshine45
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Birth Control and Blood Clots

Unread post by raeofsunshine45 »

Hi everyone!

I'm in my early 20s and just started birth control pills a few days ago. I've been reading on my pamphlet and some informational websites about an increased chance of blood clots, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about how to determine if I have one or how quickly one could develop. This morning, I woke up normal, but as the day has progressed, I've noticed a sharp pain in my upper leg/joint, and some numbness/tingling in my leg and foot. I'm probably just being paranoid and anxious, but was hoping I could possibly get some more information about blood clots and birth control. (I'm not a smoker and don't have a history of blood clots in my family.) I know you guys aren't doctors, but any kind of information would be helpful. I'd hate to go to the doctor for nothing, but also don't want to ignore something that could be a problem. Thanks!

PS: Thanks for everything on this awesome site. It's been SO helpful for me the last few weeks.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth Control and Blood Clots

Unread post by Heather »

Given you do not have things you do or family history that would make blood clots likely, this is not likely a blood clot.

But it is also always okay to call into a healthcare provider about concerns with any medication they have prescribed you. Managing that with parients is, after all, part of their job.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic