Birth control effectiveness

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
srh51968

Birth control effectiveness

Unread post by srh51968 »

Hi! I just wanted to check on my birth control effectiveness. I've been single for the past year and a half and choosing to abstain from sex. While I still have been taking birth control (Tri-Sprintec) I haven't taken it on time. I would take it at night anywhere from 9 pm to 3 am but I didn't miss any pills. I have recently found an awesome guy I am ready to have a sexual relationship with so I've been taking my birth control on time. I plan on having sex on Wednesday and will have been taking my birth control at the same time (+\- 15 minutes) since I started a new pack on Sunday, 12/07. Can I expect that to have effectiveness fairly close to "perfect usage"? We will be using a condom as well but I like having peace of mind. :)

Thanks!

ETA: I also take Singular, Symbicort, and albuterol for asthma - those medications don't interact with birth control, correct?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Birth control effectiveness

Unread post by Mo »

You actually have a window of several hours before your pill is officially considered "late" so 15 minutes either way will definitely put you well within the realm of perfect use. Even taking your pill in a 6-hour window isn't a problem. So right now you are certainly at full effectiveness.
We do always recommend that folks use condoms as well, for that extra peace of mind you mention as well as STI protection, so it sounds like you are on top of things! :)

In terms of medication interactions, the best person to ask about that would be your prescribing physician; they'll have the most up to date information on any potential drug interactions.
srh51968

Re: Birth control effectiveness

Unread post by srh51968 »

Awesome, I'll give my physician a call tomorrow to make sure about my other meds. Thank you, Mo! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic