How Do Condoms Work?/ Bleeding after intercourse

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kookykandy16
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: crazy hair
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

How Do Condoms Work?/ Bleeding after intercourse

Unread post by kookykandy16 »

today i had intercourse twice with my boyfriend for the first time. Since my greatest fear is ending up pregnant at 16, we used condoms both times. However while using them, i was wondering if condoms are supposed to not move at all while in use because at the end of our 1st time,when i got off my boyfriend the condom sorta left with me but only by like 2 inches, the rest was still on my boyfriend's penis. Also, how will i know if they worked before my next period? I mean i blew both the condoms up and there were no holes but if there were holes would they be visible to the human eye? Another q: is it normal to bleed during intercourse and to still be bleeding a little bit afterwards? How long will this last?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: How Do Condoms Work?/ Bleeding after intercourse

Unread post by Heather »

Welcome to the boards! :)

So, condoms by all means are designed to move a little. But the right way to use them when withdrawing is for someone to hold the base while you (or they) do that. So, if people don't do that, the condom can slip all the way off inside the vagina -- not just a bit like it did with you -- which IS a problem and a way for a condom to fail.

Really, the way we know any method of contraception has worked is by not becoming pregnant in the cycle we used it in. That's how we know with condoms, the pill, an IUD: any method.

Bleeding during intercourse usually happens for a reason, be that an injury, not being lubricated enough or aroused enough, a partner being too rough, continuing on with it if it hurts or isn't feeling good, etc. And often, with people new to intercourse, at least one of these things is usually happening. If it's just light spotting that stops after a day or so, and you are not having any other issues, no reason to worry about it. You just want to figure out what you didn't do last time (again, like not using lube or not using enough, being too hasty, whatever), when it happened, and try to do that this time. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic