Birth Control Pill Newbie!

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kawaiiversace

Birth Control Pill Newbie!

Unread post by kawaiiversace »

Hi! I just started taking Lo Loestrin Fe and I wanted to know how long will it take for the pill to be affective so I can have unprotected sex? I started my period on Monday and have been taking my pill since then every night at 10 pm. I take my pills right on time like a ritual! And if I have unprotected sex can my spouse ejaculate in me or does he have to withdrawl? Thank you!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth Control Pill Newbie!

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi kawaii,

Our general recommendation is to wait at least one full cycle of taking the pill before going without a back-up method. If your spouse ejaculates in you while you're on the pill, the risk of pregnancy is slightly higher than if they withdraw, but assuming you're taking the pill correctly the overall risk is still very small. When on the pill, we recommend backing up with condoms, as they have a higher effectiveness rate than withdrawl with the added bonus of protecting against STIs. You can read more in depth about the pill here:
Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic