Discharge question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
anonymoushuman
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a good singer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Discharge question

Unread post by anonymoushuman »

I'm 14 and sometimes I have discharge. Sometimes there's a lot and it's white and dry-ish, and other times i just smell kinda bad. What should I do?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Discharge question

Unread post by Redskies »

Welcome to the boards, anonymoushuman!

Assuming you're asking about vaginal discharge, having some discharge is simply part of having a vagina. The vagina is self-cleaning, and discharge is part of how it does that. Have you seen our piece Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions ? It might help fill you in a bit on what to expect, and what kinds of discharge are likely healthy or not.

It depends what you mean by smelling "bad". Like bodies in general and other bodily fluids, it's natural for genitals and healthy vaginal discharge to have its own scent. Provided you're okay with your general hygiene - washing the external genitals with a gentle soap once a day is completely adequate - that scent is unlikely to be particularly strong or unpleasant. As you can see in the article, sometimes we can get a vaginal infection or imbalance, and that can make discharge smell unpleasant. If and when that happens, it's no big deal, we just see a healthcare professional and get it treated.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic