Acne Before Period?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Petite_Gyal1991
not a newbie
Sexual identity: Straight

Acne Before Period?

Unread post by Petite_Gyal1991 »

Hi I have a question. I noticed that I seem to get acne on my upper back at least a week before my period. Is that normal? If so, is there something I can do to prevent this. Just curious. Thanks :) Also is it a side effect of birth control pills also?
Emma
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My love of travel and exploration!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Don't use any :)

Re: Acne Before Period?

Unread post by Emma »

Hormonal acne is totally normal (though annoying). Since hormones are such a person-by-person thing and everyone has their own happy balance of chemicals, any hormonal adjustments (i.e. menstruation, pregnancy, the Pill) have the possibility of worsening acne, however, they also have the possibility of making it better--sometimes the Pill is even prescribed as an acne treatment!

If you're able to, seeing a dermatologist would probably be your best bet. They can prescribe you antibiotics if needed or give you topical treatments to help your acne calm down.

Meanwhile, it's a good idea to wash/wipe the irritated skin with a GENTLE cleanser or baby wipe every day to keep sebum and grime away from your already-inflamed pores.
"What happens when people open their hearts? They get better." — Haruki Murakami
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic