Lost a pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
BlueFish2
not a newbie

Lost a pill

Unread post by BlueFish2 »

Hi! I'm on a monophasic, 21 active/7 placebo brand of birth control. Last month, I only took 1 placebo pill, because I wanted to switch from a Friday to a Sunday start. (So 21 active, 1 placebo, new pack).

This month, when I was trying to take one of the active pills, I dropped it on the floor, and it bounced into a crack between the floor and the wall. Since I was unable to find it, I took the next pill in the pack, but now I'm a pill short this month and trying to figure out how to keep myself protected.

I know I could just skip the placebos and start a new pack once I reach the end of my active pills, but I would really like to have a withdrawal bleed this month. Since I "skipped" last months placebos, would I still be protected if I took the placebos once I ran out of active pills? If I called my doctor, is there any chance she would let me have two packs at once (so I could take the missing pill, take placebos, and then start a new pack?) More importantly, is it likely my insurance company would cover both packs? Do you have any other suggestions?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Lost a pill

Unread post by Heather »

Do you have your pack for next month already or not?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
BlueFish2
not a newbie

Not yet. I only have a few more days of active pills, so I was planning to go to the pharmacy this evening.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

So, when you get that new pack, you can just "borrow" a pill from it to make up for that missed one.

And for sure, if your prescribing physician isn't making your prescription so you can have more than one pack at a time, it is always a good idea to ask for that, and that should not be an issue. having an extra pack handy obviously fixes issues like this (darn tiny pills!), but also means that if and when a pharmacy isn't open, or is out of your pill right when you need it, etc., it's no big deal. That also should make no difference to your insurance: insurance coverage usually allows for people to have whatever level of medication a physician prescribed be covered just as much with two refills and with one.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
BlueFish2
not a newbie

Ok, fantastic! I'll call my doctor and ask her for an "extra" pack to have on hand for similar situations. Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic