Antibiotics and the pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kudfc6f5duxc
not a newbie

Antibiotics and the pill

Unread post by kudfc6f5duxc »

I was prescribed amoxillan yesterday for a bad sinus infection. As it was an emergency appointment I had a nurse, not my usual GP. When talking about it and the pill, she seemed uncomfortable talking to me about it, and so gave me vague information. She said that Id only need extra protection whilst taking the antibiotics. I've read that I need to take extra precautions for a week afterwards? Also, would the fact I started my antibiotics on the 5th day of my break yesterday affect my contraceptive cover even more?? I read on the NHS website that only 2 antibiotics interfere with the pill, but since the nurse told me it interferes with amoxillan I want to be careful. Thanks :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Antibiotics and the pill

Unread post by Heather »

The thing with this is that there are only a couple things we know interfere, but then a batch where the jury is out and we don't know for sure they don't. And the -cillin class is one where we just don't know yet, and there's as much evidence it doesn't interfere as there is that it might.

So, that nurse had it right, despite what sounds like a clumsy conversation. You want to back up with a second method while you are using the antibiotic.

Personally, I generally advise safer sex when someone is ill or recently has been regardless, especially if the illness was some kind of infection, since when we have one kind of infection, or just have, our immune system is already struggling, so we are more susceptible to additional infections, including STIs. So, taking some extra precautions is just a smart move that might help you get better faster and help you avoid getting sick with something else.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
kudfc6f5duxc
not a newbie

i only just checked this today. i stopped antibiotics on sunday and i have used condoms on antibiotics, but i didnt today because i assumed it was okay not to, because i thought they didnt interfere. its been 5 days since i last took antibiotics, but i shouldve waited 7 days? he didnt come inside me but im really worried now!!
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

So, you didn't use condoms, but you did use another backup method: withdrawal. It's not quite as effective as condoms, but since your partner didn't ejaculate inside you, then it does reduce the risk of pregnancy by a lot. It is a good idea to use a backup method for at least 7 days (ideally the rest of the pill pack) after taking antibiotics, and you can always double check the information leaflet that comes with your pills or ask a pharmacist to see what the best course of action is. Again though, you did use a backup method here, it just wasn't condoms, so your risk of pregnancy is low.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
kudfc6f5duxc
not a newbie

Thank you so much for the quick reply!! I'm feeling quite annoyed that the nurse didn't tell me to take precautions for 7 days after. I spoke to my mother and we said that since the risk is so low, i probably won't take the morning after pill. Is the fact that I waited for 5 days decrease my risk or does it have to be 7 to be effective? I understand that there are a lot of unknowns regarding antibiotics, and I feel really stupid that I didn't wait 2 more days!
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

There's no way to know for sure how effective your pill would be five days after ending a course of antibiotics. But even when taking a medication that interferes with your pill, you still have some level of protection: it doesn't drop to zero when you start taking something that interferes, and then suddenly jump to fully effective at that 7-day mark. Plus, while we can't calculate how effective a method is for one instance of sex, we do know that over the span of one year, the typical use effectiveness for the pill is about 90% - that figure includes people who may be taking medication that interferes with the pill. So your pill's effectiveness was not totally wiped out. Does that make sense at all?
kudfc6f5duxc
not a newbie

Oh right!! Thanks for clearing that up, I thought that I had zero protection over that week!! I guess with all the conflicting evidence I just need to make doubly sure in future I am staying protected if I take antibiotics!! Id consider myself a 'perfect user' up until now, and I'm pretty upset to break my record!!
Sorry to ask, but would you generally advise against someone on the pill to take the morning after pill, unless definitely necessary?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

This is one of those times where taking the morning after pill very likely wouldn't reduce your risk much, if at all, but it's up to you. If you feel better taking it, then go right ahead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic