Do I have a yeast infection?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
veronica37111
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: everything
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Do I have a yeast infection?

Unread post by veronica37111 »

I'm a bit worried that I might have a yeast infection. I had protected intercourse with my bf yesterday and now the surrounding area of my vulva is a bit red. I got a bit worried and decided to take a deeper look and I noticed there's some white stuff in my vaginal opening. I did a bunch of research but I'm still a bit confused. I read that itching is also one of the symptoms, but I haven't had any of that. I took note on some things that help get rid of the infection (just in case). How do I know for sure if it's a yeast infection? And if it is, does it go away on its own? How long would it take to go away? How can I prevent it in the future? What could've caused it? Need answers ASAP please!! :(
Andy
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Do I have a yeast infection?

Unread post by Andy »

Hi there,

the only one who can say if you do or don’t have an infection is a health care provider but we can help you decide whether to bring this to them if you are not sure.
Do you have any other symptoms like pain or an off-smelling discharge? I’m asking because there are many other things that could cause the redness, like simply irritating the place during the sex you had, and a discharge by itself doesn’t have to be a cause of concert either.

If you want to know more about yeast infections and what you can do to prevent them, even though what you are experiencing now might not be one, you can read about them here: The why and how-not of yeast infections
veronica37111
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: everything
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by veronica37111 »

Thanks for replying! And no, I have no pain whatsoever, and my discharge doesn’t have a weird smell either. But today I noticed it looked yellowish on my underwear, but when I checked with my finger it was clumpy white
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi veronica37111,

From what you're describing, it sounds more like you noticed some of your own vaginal discharge, which can vary a bit in color and consistency throughout your cycle. You can read more about that, and about times when odd discharge is cause for concern, here: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic