confused about birth control pill,protected or not?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kookykandy16
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: crazy hair
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

confused about birth control pill,protected or not?

Unread post by kookykandy16 »

I took Emoquette, a combinantion pill, for the first time on Thursday January 15. (I started at any point of my cycle)

I finished the entire 2 rows of the pack. An hour and a half ago i just started the 3rd row for my Thursday pill (i take my pills at 9 pm each and every single day)

so my question is how long until my pill is effective and IF im protected because I heard its effective after 7 days if you start at any point then i hear i need to wait a full cycle so I'm just getting a little worried and confused because i had sex with my boyfriend earlier today (he wore a condom but you never know) and i don't know if my pill was in full effect or not due to the mixed information i'm getting about the pill. Will 14 days on the pill protect me and be in full effect against pregnancy?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: confused about birth control pill,protected or not?

Unread post by Ashleah »

Hi Kookykandy16,

If you did not start your pill on the first day of your period or the first Sunday after a period it is advised to use a back up method for a full cycle. This would be ideal even though 7 days is often suggested. However, risk of pregnancy is low especially if the condom was used correctly.

I would also encourage you to continue using condoms after a full cycle has passed!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: confused about birth control pill,protected or not?

Unread post by Heather »

Just to be clear, the standard with starting the pill at times other than a day one or Sunday start (on or before the Sunday after a periods begins) is one full cycle of backup, not seven days. That 7 day suggestion is for those doing a day one or Sunday start.

And using condoms is using a backup, so it is all good. In ither words, it sounds like you have been backing up as advised.

Just fyi, too, when condoms are used correctly, there really isn't a "you never know." If and when condims fail, it is quite clear, so so long as you and your partner are sure you are using condoms properly, and the condom you used also does not slip off or break, you CAN, in fact, know, that the condom did its job. No mystery or guesswork there.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic