Bloating?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Fender909
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My passion for music.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: None preferred
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Bloating?

Unread post by Fender909 »

I know you guys can't give me a 100% cause for my bloating and you can't diagnose anything, but some input would be cool.

I took one at-home pregnancy test at the beginning of December and it came out negative. At the beginning of this month I got my blood drawn for a blood test in the lab. I got a call that my results for pregnancy were negative.

Because of my nerves about the thought of being pregnant, I've turned pressing on my stomach as hard as I can into a bad habit. So I've been doing it frequently. Sometimes it's more like massaging but most of the time I'm just jabbing my fingers in there. I don't know if this could be a cause of my bloating.

Maybe I could be just gaining weight? But I've just been panicking since I've been going through this pregnancy scare for a little over three months so the growth of my belly would be in time. I've had my period two times since my scare began, but this month it isn't coming when I expected it. I expected it around a week ago. So that's kinda making me panicky too, even though my period has rarely been predictable.

I talked to my parents about how I thought my belly was looking bigger and they said I might be just bloating before my period. And my step-mom keeps reminding me "People gain weight."

Also I keep feeling a twitching feeling down there too. It mainly happens at night. I don't know what it could be. Muscle spasms? Gas? It's really freaking me out.

I've also been getting really spaced out abdominal cramps. They feel like period cramps, but I can't be sure. My lower back was in pain last night so these symptoms make me feel like I'm about to start my period but I don't.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Bloating?

Unread post by Karyn »

Bloating and abdominal cramps can happen for all sorts of reasons, including stress. One of the side effects of stress for many people is digestive upset, so it's possible that's what's going on here. Of course, checking in with a doctor is the only way to know for sure.

Looking back on some of your previous posts, it seems as though you were on track to getting set up with a new therapist - have you had any appointments with them yet?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Fender909
not a newbie

I'm working to get set up with a new one. I definitely need one and have a desire for one. My doctor said she was going to call and search for therapists that she think would work for me but I haven't heard back yet.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

How about giving your doctor a call, then, and seeing where they are at with that process? You can ask at the same time if they think it's worth coming in to get your cramps and other symptoms checked out.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Fender909
not a newbie

Alright. Will do. Thank you.
Fender909
not a newbie

I started my period yesterday morning and the bloating hasn't gone down very much at all. Looking at my diet the past week or so, it's been terribly salt-packed. So that could definitely be contributing to this.

I've been drinking as much water as possible since last night. I've also had green tea in hopes that hydration would help my bloating to down.

Do you guys have any remedies for menstrual bloating?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

You might want to be more moderate with the water, but ultimately, there is not a lot to do here, and since bloating tends to be temporary and does not usually cause pain or get in the way of basic daily life stuff, really, it is just something to wait out.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic