Questions

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Hypochondriac17
not a newbie

Questions

Unread post by Hypochondriac17 »

I read that mid cycle spotting, around day 14-15 in a 30 day cycle, is a sign that you're ovulating, and is also a sign that you're very fertile in general. Is this true, or is such a type of bleeding abnormal? Also, when can any vaginal bleeding be called abnormal? Like, how does it vary from a period, in terms of duration/intensity/occurrence? When should you be worried about such bleeding or get it investigated?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Questions

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Hypochondriac,

For questions about cycle, it can help to start by reading this article:
Get With the Flow: All About FAM

And, just to clarify, is this something that you're worried about because it's happening to you?
Hypochondriac17
not a newbie

Okay, thanks!

Also, can one have PCOS/PCOD and still have a normal cycle?

Yes, this happened to me. I had a pregnancy scare a couple of months ago, but I got my regular periods and have had them for the past 3 months. However, for all these 3 months, I've been experiencing spotting on only and exactly day 15 of the cycle. Its very little, but noticeable. I've never had spotting ever before.

After the 1st time it happened, I had an ultrasound and it was normal, so any conditions have been ruled out. I asked from just an educational point of view.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

If someone has PCOS, then their cycle is unlikely to be regular (both in terms of ovulation and menstruation).

To answer your question, spotting can be part of some people's normal cycles, or it can happen here or there to a person who menstruates. So, since it sounds like you ruled out other causes by going to the doctor, then that's likely what's happening.
Hypochondriac17
not a newbie

Okay. I'm asking cause I was told that the ultrasound revealed that my ovaries were bulky, and looked like those of someone who had PCOS. By day 7 of the cycle itself I had multiple huge follicles, and my endometrial thickness was already 7 mm. But, my cycles seem to be perfectly normal in terms of occurrence, duration, and intensity.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic