Age

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Jansmit
newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2026 12:59 pm
Age: 57
My Awesomeness Quotient: Listens, caring
My primary language: Dutch
My pronouns: He/him
My sexual identity and orientation: Straight
Location: Netherlands

Age

Unread post by Jansmit »

Perhaps a strange question, but I came across this forum and I think it's very interesting.
Thing is, there's 'teen' in the name of this site and I'm not a teen anymore since 40 years.
I don't want to be a strange duck in the pond.

Am I welcome here?

Regards, John
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Posts: 11190
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:43 pm
Age: 56
My Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for nearly 30 years!
My primary language: english
My pronouns: they/them
My sexual identity and orientation: queery-queer-queer
Location: Chicago

Re: Age

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there, Jansmit.

We center young people here, and what that means is that they come first ahead of anyone else, and the kind of education we provide is centered on their needs and their life phases. But we're also able to provide sex and relationship education and information for people of all ages (at this point of my career, I've taught across the entire lifespan) for those who want it, including for parents seeking help when it comes to parenting young people around these topics.

What can we help you with?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Jansmit
newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2026 12:59 pm
Age: 57
My Awesomeness Quotient: Listens, caring
My primary language: Dutch
My pronouns: He/him
My sexual identity and orientation: Straight
Location: Netherlands

Re: Age

Unread post by Jansmit »

Thanks for your explanation, that is very clear.

Since I have have two kids, a son and a daughter, of who the latter is attracted to women, I might be able to help with certain questions of other members. Not that I'm a perfect dad, but my kids have a good relationship with me.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Posts: 11190
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:43 pm
Age: 56
My Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for nearly 30 years!
My primary language: english
My pronouns: they/them
My sexual identity and orientation: queery-queer-queer
Location: Chicago

Re: Age

Unread post by Heather »

Generally our users aren't too excited to talk to older adults who aren't people who work here, who they know they can trust because someone else here can vouch for them, or who aren't themselves sex and relationship educators.

Because we are staffed with trained sex and relationships educators, and because our users won't know who you are -- and I have to tell you, a stated interest in "age gap" in your profile won't make younger people feel safe -- while I appreciate your wanting to help, it's pretty unlikely that it will be utilized much here. What this space is most likely most useful for for you is any help you may want as someone parenting young people. <3
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic