My Daughters First BF
-
Single Mom
- newbie
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:18 am
- Age: 40
- My Awesomeness Quotient: smile
- My primary language: english
- My pronouns: she
- My sexual identity and orientation: bi
- Location: az
My Daughters First BF
My daughter is 12 and has her first real bf for almost 3 months. I consider myself to be pretty progressive and allow them privacy at our house. My bff is telling me i should let the bfs mom know that I leave them alone when hes here. The bf is 14 and yes my daughter is on the pill. Do i need to tell his mom? Im conflicted.
-
Heather
- scarleteen founder & director
- Posts: 11210
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:43 pm
- Age: 56
- My Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for nearly 30 years!
- My primary language: english
- My pronouns: they/them
- My sexual identity and orientation: queery-queer-queer
- Location: Chicago
Re: My Daughters First BF
Hey there, SingleMom.
Honestly, I think your daughter and her boyfriend are the right-est people to talk with about the privacy you're giving them and your expectations with that privacy, and whether or not you talk to her boyfriend's mom about it is secondary.
Just being on the pill obviously doesn't give your daughter -- or the boyfriend -- any information about consent, for example, or sexual pacing. Suffice it to say, 12-year-olds, especially in 2026, are generally not at all ready for most kinds of sexual expression, but her older boyfriend may need someone to make sure he understands that (especially since "I'm on the pill" is often only understood by young men as something to do with sex or even as a low-key way of saying someone wants sex), and hearing from you that you expect things like care, communication and consent with anything that involves touch is something your daughter would also really benefit from. That signals things like that she can come to you if there is any issue, and that you're paying attention to what's going on, not pretending you don't know young people might sexually experiment.
In my experience, sexual or other relationship abuse is a much greater risk when young people think parents don't know there might be sexual exploration that is happening or may happen, and when young men, in particular, think that no one is paying attention. Letting them both know that privacy is a privilege that is dependent on basic things like safety, care and respect for everyone involved is absolutely anti-assault messaging.
I do think it's a good idea to create some kind of relationship with the parent of a kid's partner if possible, though, just in general. Having a relationship with his parent or parents also signals good things to him and your daughter, and gives you an open channel of communication at the ready if and when there ever is anything that you feel you should share, you know?
One last thing I have to add is that sometimes, a parent in the mix like you who allows things other parents may not can wind up getting demonized by other parents or a group of parent (and then their kids, as well), something I feel like single parents tend to be extra vulnerable with. So, if you have any worries about a dynamic like that, that may change your mind about telling this mom about the privacy you're allowing them. <3
Honestly, I think your daughter and her boyfriend are the right-est people to talk with about the privacy you're giving them and your expectations with that privacy, and whether or not you talk to her boyfriend's mom about it is secondary.
Just being on the pill obviously doesn't give your daughter -- or the boyfriend -- any information about consent, for example, or sexual pacing. Suffice it to say, 12-year-olds, especially in 2026, are generally not at all ready for most kinds of sexual expression, but her older boyfriend may need someone to make sure he understands that (especially since "I'm on the pill" is often only understood by young men as something to do with sex or even as a low-key way of saying someone wants sex), and hearing from you that you expect things like care, communication and consent with anything that involves touch is something your daughter would also really benefit from. That signals things like that she can come to you if there is any issue, and that you're paying attention to what's going on, not pretending you don't know young people might sexually experiment.
In my experience, sexual or other relationship abuse is a much greater risk when young people think parents don't know there might be sexual exploration that is happening or may happen, and when young men, in particular, think that no one is paying attention. Letting them both know that privacy is a privilege that is dependent on basic things like safety, care and respect for everyone involved is absolutely anti-assault messaging.
I do think it's a good idea to create some kind of relationship with the parent of a kid's partner if possible, though, just in general. Having a relationship with his parent or parents also signals good things to him and your daughter, and gives you an open channel of communication at the ready if and when there ever is anything that you feel you should share, you know?
One last thing I have to add is that sometimes, a parent in the mix like you who allows things other parents may not can wind up getting demonized by other parents or a group of parent (and then their kids, as well), something I feel like single parents tend to be extra vulnerable with. So, if you have any worries about a dynamic like that, that may change your mind about telling this mom about the privacy you're allowing them. <3
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
-
Single Mom
- newbie
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:18 am
- Age: 40
- My Awesomeness Quotient: smile
- My primary language: english
- My pronouns: she
- My sexual identity and orientation: bi
- Location: az
Re: My Daughters First BF
Thanks so much great points! Weve talked about consent and respect in all of our talks. I understand about being demonized which is a concern. Lots to consider thanks!
-
Heather
- scarleteen founder & director
- Posts: 11210
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:43 pm
- Age: 56
- My Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for nearly 30 years!
- My primary language: english
- My pronouns: they/them
- My sexual identity and orientation: queery-queer-queer
- Location: Chicago
Re: My Daughters First BF
You're welcome.
And that's great: maybe just consider including her boyfriend in some of these talks, since who knows if his parents have been on top of that?
It doesn't have to be super formal, either. I had a father who was very open to any of my partners or potential partners coming over, and I have memories of hearing him, in a very chill way, just tell people I was dating who came over that he cared about me a whole lot and expected the same of anyone I was getting close to, and that he knew I was very responsible when it came to touch and sex and intimate relationships, and that he expected the same of them. He usually did it with a little warm hand grip or back pat. Whatever way feels like your unique way to share that kind of info with her boyfriend, I'd say that's the way.
I do think if you're concerned you're going to be seen as "THAT parent" if allowing them privacy is discovered later, that it's probably a good idea to go ahead and tell his mother. You don't need that. It's hard enough being a single parent!
And that's great: maybe just consider including her boyfriend in some of these talks, since who knows if his parents have been on top of that?
It doesn't have to be super formal, either. I had a father who was very open to any of my partners or potential partners coming over, and I have memories of hearing him, in a very chill way, just tell people I was dating who came over that he cared about me a whole lot and expected the same of anyone I was getting close to, and that he knew I was very responsible when it came to touch and sex and intimate relationships, and that he expected the same of them. He usually did it with a little warm hand grip or back pat. Whatever way feels like your unique way to share that kind of info with her boyfriend, I'd say that's the way.
I do think if you're concerned you're going to be seen as "THAT parent" if allowing them privacy is discovered later, that it's probably a good idea to go ahead and tell his mother. You don't need that. It's hard enough being a single parent!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead