Question about arousal

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sparklingstar
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: The fact that I won't give up something I love
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they

Question about arousal

Unread post by sparklingstar »

So, I'm currently a single, afab person. I've realized that I haven't felt aroused or horny in some time.

Before, I can feel aroused a week prior my period, and I can also feel aroused when reading fan fiction that have sexual content. I usually masturbate 3~4 times a month. It may not seem like a lot, but I was okay with it.

However, I've found out that I can't really feel the same level of arousal I used to feel recently. Like, I can feel a bit hot when reading fan fics, but not enough to masturbate. (if that makes sense)

So I'm wondering, does stress affect this at all? I'm returning to college this month, and everything's basically a mess right now because I'm still adjusting everything. I guess I'm a bit scared that I won't be able to feel the same amount of arousal even when everything's settled down. Or is this just how arousal works? Like, they change randomly every now and then?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Question about arousal

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi hiImcrocheting,

A lot of things can influence arousal, and stress is absolutely one of them! When we're stressed, that often ends up suppressing desire, or making it harder to get or stay in the moment when you're trying to get aroused. So, since it sounds like you're in a point of serious stress right now, chances are you'll notice your familiar arousal levels returning when that stress starts to go down.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic