i want to be in a relationship with someone significantly older than me

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
lb07
not a newbie
Pronouns: He/They
Sexual identity: bisexual

i want to be in a relationship with someone significantly older than me

Unread post by lb07 »

im 17, and since i was 16 ive wanted to have a relationship with someone older than me, im unsure how this desire came about, but it was probably made worse when i seeked out that kinda thing when i was 16. in my state, i cant legally be in a relationship with someone much older than me, i'd have to wait for 18 for that, but im getting tired of waiting. sometimes i dont mind having this desire, sometimes i do. i wish i knew why it came about.
KierC
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: i want to be in a relationship with someone significantly older than me

Unread post by KierC »

Hi lb07,

I want to ask a clarifying question first, if that’s okay! Reading through this and your other posts, I think, as Latha said before, you’re placing older people on a pedestal they don’t deserve to be on. Is there something in particular *about* older people that excites you? If we can tease apart what exactly it is you’re seeking when you look at older people, maybe we can figure out why this came about. How does that sound? Also, do you still have a therapist you can discuss these things with as well?
lb07
not a newbie
Pronouns: He/They
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by lb07 »

what excites me about them is probably the experience they most likely have with romantic and sexual things, and yes i still do have a therapist
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Sofi »

Have you brought this up to your therapist by chance, and if so, what did they say?
Wanting to be with an older person because they have more experience isn't uncommon, and I don't want you to feel like it's a weird thing or a shameful desire. However it's different when it's two adults, which is how it often happens. As you're aware, it's not legal at your age, and there are reasons beyond law for that. Romantic and sexual experience aren't directly tied to age, many adults don't have much experience in those areas (and many people do have a lot of it by the time they turn 18). Ideally, you would want to be with someone close to your age, who you have lots in common with and are in a similar stage in life, regardless of their romantic or sexual experience. Still, I don't want you to shame yourself into being distressed over this desire. Is that what you feel is happening?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic