IUD efficacy

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
ah7
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

IUD efficacy

Unread post by ah7 »

Hi!! I got the Jaydess IUD back in February and it has been great in terms of not having to take birth control everyday. I have a lot of anxiety about getting pregnant and so I wanted to make sure that my boyfriend and I are safe to not use condoms when having sex? We often do but there have a been a few occasions where we haven’t however he hasn’t finished while inside me (sorry for tmi!) I know IUD’s are very effective but for my own peace of mind I just want a second opinion ! Thank you
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: IUD efficacy

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi ah7,

You're right that the IUD is extremely effective at preventing pregnancy! That being said, I think it would be sound for you and he to continue using condoms, for two reasons.

One is that, if you're prone to anxiety around pregnancy, having that second method in place can help lessen that anxiety and, in the case of pairing it with an IUD, bring you as close to 100% protection from pregnancy as is possible.

The other is that even when another form of contraception is in use, and the relationship is a monogamous one, there are still good reasons to keep using condoms. Heather goes into those in more detail here: After Contraception or Commitment, Why You Still Gotta Rock Safer Sex
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic