Where is Your “Third Space”?

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
KierC
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Where is Your “Third Space”?

Unread post by KierC »

Hi everyone :)

I just started reading Adela Licona’s “Zines in Third Space: Radical Cooperation and Borderlands Rhetoric,” and it’s reignited my interest in the idea of a “third space.” For context, “Third spaces” are different from “third places.” You may have heard of “third places:” social places outside of work, school, and home where you can be yourself/relax in a social setting. On the other hand, third spaces, a term coined by Homi Bhabha in “The Location of Culture,” are places that allow you and others to negotiate your cultural and social identity.

I’ve been thinking about third spaces a lot because I recently realized that the place I go to outside of work and home is a place where I can be social and somewhat relaxed, but where my cultural and social identity isn’t necessarily affirmed at all, particularly as a queer person. It’s made me think about how important it is to have this outside space where you can be social AND be able to express your identity. So, I’m trying to think about what a “third space” might look like. Right now, I’m thinking there’s a community art space near my apartment that might be a space where I can “negotiate my identity,” as it were.

This leads me to my question for you all: Where is your third space? What aspects of this place make it feel out of the ordinary or transformative for you? If you can’t think of one, what would the ideal third space look like for you?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Where is Your “Third Space”?

Unread post by Sam W »

Ooh, I like this question!

I actually found one of these spaces since I moved up to the coast. It's a pinball arcade, but it's one that's so clearly been designed as a community space. It stocks and sells zines about abortion, prison abolition, etc, and has a bunch of comfy chairs around a table where they keep a little community library of books. There's art in the vending machine and spaces where people can just sit and hang out, rather than the pressure to either be playing or leave (I'm also someone who finds pinball to be a pleasant background noise, so I don't find that element overstimulating). It's so clearly a space made by weirdos and dirtbags (affectionate), which tend to make me feel comfortable as a rule.
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic