Gender struggles with a relationship

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Emelyn
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Gender struggles with a relationship

Unread post by Emelyn »

Hiii o/ Just looking to talk to someone about this, since it's been on my mind and I don't have anyone I'm comfortable sharing with.

I've had trans feels for a long time, since I was a kid. Started identifying as nonbinary during early teens. I've never wanted to impose on anyone, so it took me a long time to actually change my outward expression. Then when I finally started, I did it very quietly -- by avoiding "coming out" to existing people in my life, and just meeting new people as the new me. (It's so bad to the point where I just quietly transitioned right in front of my immediate family without telling all of them.) All the time, I kept quiet about being nonbinary and just went with however people gendered me (usually the binary). Pretty much everyone still read me as male. Sometimes they'd think I was female, but that was before I was able to fake the voice. Once I spoke, they'd immediately apologize. It felt like a gut punch but I tried to convince myself, it's okay, why do I care what people see me as, I'm just secretly nonbinary inside. But then...

So I'm in a relationship with a girl, have been for a few years. We're in our 20s. (hope I'm not overaged to be here, but I guess this is how long it took to come to terms with it lol) I met her when I was still presenting male and did tell her from the start about being nonbinary, but I didn't want to make a big deal of it. She sees me as a guy, calls me he/him and most people in her life know me as her bf.

And here's the issue... over the past couple years or so, I've been getting gender feels again, except this time I sometimes really feel like presenting femme, being called she/her, being a girl, etc. I also sometimes feel dysphoric about being seen as male. I'm still grappling with understanding/coming to terms with my identity. I don't know what I identify as anymore. But these feelings have been around for long enough that I am sometimes presenting female out in public and some of my social circles see me as a (cis) girl. These days, I am fortunate enough to more or less pass either way, with a few wardrobe changes. I am starting to list female pronouns wherever I dare (BIG step that I was honestly scared of, previously I would just let people call me whatever they saw fit).

Well, my gf is cool with queer folk and has said she'd love me no matter what, but she's attracted to guys, and at the end of the day she still likes being the "woman" in the relationship. I feel like I'm doing her a disservice if I decide to explore this side of myself. I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable, or that she's been dating a faker all this while. I avoid blatantly presenting female when out with her, also because there's a nagging fear about not passing. There was a period of time when I started growing my hair out and looked more femme. That was a super awkward time where I felt bad just holding hands or showing public affection (lesbian is prettyyy taboo in some spaces here). I wish we could just have a normal hetero relationship but silly me can't take being a dude anymore.

She's also said before that she still sees me as a guy and calls me her bf to new people. (She's tried using more neutral terms but people are either hyper aware -- "omg is your partner trans?!" -- or old-fashioned and need to know "girl or boy"). I don't want to make life difficult for her so I've told her it's no biggie to call me that. But lately...I dunno. I am okay with neutral terms. It's just that society is still pretty stuck in the binary and I don't blame them.

I suppose just some insights would be helpful, or a second opinion. I don't want to ruin anything we have just because I couldn't deal with some societal construct that I've been putting up with all this while. Am I just being selfish? Maybe there's a way to deal with being bf to my gf while being a part-time girl (essentially my life atm, it's just difficult and getting found out either way is always at the back of my mind), YET sometimes I feel, ehh maybe it's just easier to stay a guy. There is also still family that doesn't know. I feel like I'm living a dual life...rip that suit off and out comes Supergirl.

tldr I guess, I am a nonbinary who's been quietly living as male, but now having gender feels and wants to start presenting female. Trying to reconcile these parts of life with my relationship and not sure how to navigate through it.

Phew, it got a lot longer than expected. Thanks for reading all this, it's already been a huge weight off my back just organising my thoughts! 🙏
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Gender struggles with a relationship

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there, Emelyn. Welcome to the boards. Our userbase tends to be between 15 and 30, so you're all good!

So, it often is very challenging, all around, for people to transition their gender in most ways inside a relationship, particularly if and when anyone in that relationship isn't a very flexible kind of queer and when anyone involved is cisgender. The worries and struggles you're having are very common: I have had a lot of couples in my life and work go through this over the decades, and I think it's safe to say it's rarely easy for anyone. You are absolutely not being selfish, though. Please hear that.

I would like to first, though, assert some things that I think are essential to be in a relationship in a healthy way in this situation:
1) We need to be able to be ourselves, and to be comfortable being ourselves, even if and when a partner isn;t comfortable with some aspects of who we are (I'm not talking behaviors, I mean unchangeable things like identities and beliefs). If and when a partner isn't comfortable with something like our gender, it's not healthy for us to try and hide, withhold, or otherwise represent that to please them.
2) We need a partner to work to see us as the gender WE are, not as how they want to or choose to see us. We also need our partners to respect our own sense of self and support it -- so, saying things like that they still see you as a different gender actually isn't an okay thing to say to you, in my book. If they want to talk about that with someone, someone like a counselor is the right person for that, not a nonbinary/trans person. Uh uh. :(
3) We need to not try and control or take responsibility for our partner's feelings (ever, not just around transness!). THEY are responsible for those, and if and when they feel discomfort because of their partner's gender, that's for them to work on, not something for you to try and help them avoid. If we can't grow in relationships, what are we even doing in them, you know?

Have you talked to her about any of this in the ways you're talking here? If so, I'm curious how that has gone.

There's a lot to address here, but one more thing I want to be sure not to miss is to talk about this idea that in relationships, one person is "the woman" and the other is "the man." For once, umm, guess nonbinary folks don't get to exist in relationship at all? But also, this is comphet stuff, some of the most noxious kind. I don't see how a queer or trans person could happily or healthily be in something with someone holding tight unto those kinds of antiquated beliefs, do you? Also, there's no such thing as a "normal hereto relationship," so sounds liek you yourself are holding unto some of those beliefs and ideas, too. I'd encourage you to deeply reconsider them: they don't serve anyone well, but they really, really don't serve queer or trans people well, since they either don't even acknowledge or pathologize our existence. <3
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

One more thing!

Relationships change over time. They do. In a myriad of ways. And it may just be that one way this relationship may change over time is that it doesn't stay romantic or sexual. If your girlfriend only wants a boyfriend but you aren't and don't want to be a boy, this just isn't going to work for either of you, and trying to make it work may well sour some of the parts of the relationship that DO work. You might want to consider just being who you are the way that feels best to you, and seeing how it does or doesn't work in your relationship with her. Perhaps a close but non-romantic friendship might turn out to be a better fit for you two, for instance.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Emelyn
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Emelyn »

Hey Heather, thanks so much for the insight 🙏

I guess part of the issue is that I still don't really know what I identify as. It'd be easier if I could just say with confidence that I'm a girl. But now I'm moreso feeling like I would maybe sometimes want to be a girl and other times I don't feel so strongly about it, and would just take being a guy so the constant worry/fear is gone, if that makes sense? That is making me wonder if I really need to explore being female in this aspect of my life or if it's just a fantasy I don't need to realize.

I always feel too awkward addressing anything about my identity to people irl so I just avoid it because I don't know how to explain it. I've told my gf I'd like to switch up pronouns with certain mutual friends, which she has tried to, but largely avoids using pronouns. I've also told her before, I don't really feel like a guy 100% of the time, and she says it's fine. But to her I'm still her bf.

And I agree about there not having to be a man and woman in a relationship, but by normal hetero I mean like...we're in a pretty conservative place, most of the relationships here are cis-het. So if I'm openly queer, people are gonna ask her about me, and I'd like to just keep a low profile and go about our normal lives.

She does often talk about fairytale romances and me being her dream guy. And I just feel awful not being able to be that for her. Like maybe I should've stressed more about being nonbinary when we met, instead of just saying it's okay if she calls me a guy. Maybe that is backfiring on me now, because back then I thought I could deal with it for a lifetime.

We still love each other a lot and I trust we'll stick together as long as we can weather this storm, lol. I'm just not sure how to broach the topic of identity again. I haven't even thought about what it means romantically or sexually. In that area, I think I'd be alright being with her as a man, but I also have my own desires to enjoy intimacy as a woman. It's complicated.

I am going to try a more feminine presentation with her and see how she takes it. Fingers crossed 🤞
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

What I am hearing from you right now is that maybe you're in a questioning space, maybe you're actually more of a genderfluid person, or maybe -- and this would certainly be understandable -- you are someone who feels more of a feminine identity but that scares you because it sounds like you are so unsupported in it in your life, with your gf, in your community, etc.

My best suggestion is yes, to just experiment and explore how you are feeling and how you want to present in whatever ways feel safe and okay for you, and then to also try and keep talking about this with your gf.

I want to add that it is not only okay, but that it is part of intimate relationships to challenge each other and also to need to ask our partners sometimes to do or think about things differently than they have, whether that is about pronouns, or how they see our roles, or how our relationship might be changing as one or both of us grow. I think in your case what might be best is to just ask her if you two can consider yourself in an ongoing conversation about all of this, and to do what you can to try and talk about it more often than you have been -- not too far past your point of comfort, but maybe push that just a little bit, you know? Free-flowing conversation about this seems like something that would be good for both of you. I think the same goes for perhaps pushing her on some things that you need where she needs to grow: for instance, if we are asking our parters to use certain pronouns for us and they are being avoidant, we get to tell them it really matters to us and ask them to try harder. We'd want them to do that were the roles reversed, right? <3
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic