Chance of sperm survival on wet floor

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
tempet
Awesomeness Quotient: dont be afraid of asking
Primary language: english
Pronouns: he/him

Chance of sperm survival on wet floor

Unread post by tempet »

Hello, I have a question.
So, I ejaculated in the bathroom, and I washed the semen from the wet floor with water and some soap, but I think I might have missed some semen on the wet bathroom floor that was not visible to the naked eye as I washed with water, but I think some of it wasn’t cleaned. My worry is that someone from my house, who had a bath, sat on top after 30-40 minutes, where the left-out semen was on the wet bathroom floor and could have gotten pregnant.

But from what I think it’s unlikely because she is in perimenopausal phase.

This happened 3 months ago. But I am worried right now as I am seeing some symptoms of pregnancy or perimenopause (as both have similar symptoms) in that person. These started getting more pronounced in the last month.
This could be mostly symptoms of perimenopause, I think. I have been worried sick recently, but based on what I researched, the chances of that happening are essentially less than 2%. I just wanted to ask here if the sperm would have survived to cause pregnancy via sitting on the wet floor, so I could relieve my anxiety.

Sorry, it's a dumb question to which I already know the answer, but my pessimism takes over quickly.
Andy
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Chance of sperm survival on wet floor

Unread post by Andy »

Hi there and welcome to the boards!

It seems like you already know that there is no way a pregnancy could occur this way. The chances are not even the 2%, they are zero. Sperm cells are actually very delicate and need specific conditions to survive. So after being washed with soap and water (which means losing the nutrients and specific environment they need around themselves to survive), spending such a long time on a possible cold floor and drying out, they just won’t be alive anymore let alone able to make someone pregnant. Does that make sense?
I also think reading this article that elaborates on these reasons might be helpful for you: Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells?

(Also, as you mention perimenopause, we actually have a great article about menopause which your or that person you were talking about might be interested in reading: So You Want to Know About Menopause!)
tempet

Unread post by tempet »

Thanks for your reply
I’m aware that the sperm that was washed with water and soap wouldn’t survive.

What I’m concerned is about the semen that was left out on the floor which was wet for 30-40 min until the person sat on the floor.

Would it have survived till that time for it to cause pregnancy? Because from what i read sperm can survive 1-2 hours in wet conditions.
Plus i also see some symptoms compared to 3 months like increasing belly and back pain and stuffy nose without any colds thats started 10 days ago and some other symptoms which looks like it could be with both perimenopause and pregnancy.
KierC
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by KierC »

Hi Tempet :)

What Andy said is applicable to the sperm that was sitting out as well. The sperm cells present in the ejaculate left on the floor would not survive that long, even if the floor was wet or the bathroom was humid. The sperm cells would dry out quickly on the floor and get sluggish and die because the floor is colder than your body temperature. Did you get a chance to read the articles Andy sent?
tempet

Unread post by tempet »

No i haven’t gotten the chance to completely read it yet.

And thanks for the reply, this eased my worries.
KierC
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by KierC »

No worries at all, and you are welcome! I’m glad we were able to ease your worries. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic