Am I aromatic?

Questions and discussion about your sexuality and how it's a part of who you are as a person.
Piebymeh
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can write stories
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They/them
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Am I aromatic?

Unread post by Piebymeh »

Hi, I have been having issues with my relationships. Every time I date someone, I get uncomfortable or repulsed that person I’m dating, and it never lasts long. I keep taking a break, thinking it’s just me since I had a lot of bad relationships, but nope, it’s not that people keep telling me I’m too young, but I’m already 16, and it’s normal at my age to date and stuff so I don't think it's that but I just have to know. Am I aromatic?
KierC
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Am I aromatic?

Unread post by KierC »

Hi Piebymeh,

When it comes to something so personal as orientation, the only person who is going to be able to tell you if you’re aromantic is you. Too, identifying as aromantic (or as any other orientation), depends on your comfort with it, not whether or not you “fit” the definition. All that to say, if identifying as aromantic feels right to you, you can be aromantic! I want to say, too, the aromantic identity is on a spectrum, and it’s okay to identify as aromantic and experience a little romantic attraction in certain contexts. Does that make sense? With all that being said, how do *you* feel about identifying as aromantic? Are there any thoughts, feelings, concerns that pop up for you thinking about it?

Too, could you say a little more about the feeling repulsed? By that do you mean you have no romantic attraction, or is there something else too?
Piebymeh
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can write stories
Pronouns: They/them
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Piebymeh »

When I say repulsed, sometimes I feel disgusted by the person I’m dating, and it sounds horrible, but it's how I feel.
KierC
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by KierC »

Hi Piebymeh,

Ah, thank you for clarifying. You know, I don’t think you’re bad or anything for feeling this way. It’s important that you’re recognizing when you feel this way, too. Do you want to talk a bit about how you experience this disgust? Does the disgust make you not want to be around them, or is there another way you’re feeling it? Too, how does identifying as aromantic sit with you?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic