Why do some people act like it's so easy to get dates?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
forest_wave
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I've been told I'm very personable!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: straight

Why do some people act like it's so easy to get dates?

Unread post by forest_wave »

A few different folks recently have asked me whether I'm dating anyone. When I've said no (and it's not for lack of wanting to), a couple of them replied with some version of, well why not. To which I guess I have some ideas. For one reason or another, the apps just haven't worked for me (cue anxiety about my appearance, how I look in pictures, et cetera). So, the obvious progression would be, put myself in situations to meet new people (seems like a basic enough recipe: be around new people, and interact with them). I don't feel like I do this enough, so that is something I need to work at. But I'm also an anxious person and an introvert with a limited social battery, so going out to socialize--especially when I work five days a week--feels like it requires a lot of activation energy. My main friend group right now is my coworkers, which is great, but going out with a group of 10-12 people really doesn't feel the most conducive to trying to meet new people (especially when I'm a straight male and they're mostly female--I know they're supportive of me, but it would still feel kind of uncomfortable trying to chat up a girl in front of them). And in situations where I go somewhere myself or get invited to a gathering by a friend, there's an underlying anxiety about, am I doing this right? is this what I'm supposed to be doing to meet people? who do I talk to?

It's starting to really become a sore spot when people ask me about my love life, and I feel like it's making me more ill at ease with my single-ness. So, I guess I'm partly wondering how I should put myself out there more without getting too anxious, but also how to handle these feelings of uneasiness about the fact that it feels so overwhelming to try and get dates.
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Why do some people act like it's so easy to get dates?

Unread post by Latha »

Hi Forest_wave,

I think you probably know this, but the question 'why not?' is silly. I can't imagine many people would say they never have any trouble dating. This might be one of those situations where people haven't actually thought about the impact of their question, they are asking because it's an automatic response.

It might not be intentional on their part, but the question 'why not' implicitly assumes that you're lacking something if you aren't in a relationship, and defines success in dating as being in a relationship. Don't accept these terms. One way to become more at ease with being single is to remind yourself that there is nothing wrong with that. It is okay to be single for any reason, and not having a partner does not mean you are missing anything.
I guess I have some ideas.
It is useful to have a sense of what you might want to change to improve your chance of finding connections. However, the people who ask this sort of question are not owed an honest and complete evaluation of the state of your love life. You do not even need to consider the state of your love life to answer their question. All you need is a standard, non-committal response. Perhaps something along the lines of Oh, I'm still looking/I'm waiting for the right person. (After this, you may have to move the conversation forward, like by asking the other person a question.)

This might just be me, but trying to 'get dates' feels like a difficult and overwhelming goal to have in social interactions. Why not focus on making positive connections with people, and getting to know them? If that develops into a situation where you like someone and have the opportunity to ask them out, that can be a pleasant bonus.

I think anxiety tends to make us interrogate ourselves and look for gaps in our own behaviour. I would like to suggest that you might not be the problem here, and that the conditions for doing this wrong might be harder to meet than you think they are. If you aren't being actively rude or off-putting, you're probably fine (and remember, people have told you that you're very personable!). Missed connections are not evidence that you're doing something wrong — they are just a part of the experience of trying to meet people. Not everything is in your control; so much depends on the other person and the circumstances.

Does this make sense so far?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic