Questioning gender
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 1:16 pm
I was told to come here to ask for advice by a volunteer here. I previously submitted this in the advice column, but have now made an account.
I am 15 and possibly a dude, but I do not think there were many signs when I was a kid. I apologise if any of this sounds overdramatic or excessively verbose.
When my age was in the single digits, I was quite feminine in the stereotypical ways. I liked the colour pink, I liked wearing dresses, and I did not think too hard about my gender but I was a little feminist at heart. There were some things that were amiss, like, sorry if I am being crude, I was under the impression I had a micropenis before being aware of the term or of basic biology for the matter. Nonetheless, I was half convinced that I had the "boy bits" and that the doctors must have missed something. If you really squint and look for signs, with a healthy dose of confirmation bias on your side, I did tend to idolise male fictional characters and notably insisted on roleplaying a male character rather than a female one, but that is a perfectly ordinary quirk of childhood you would not bat an eye at. All in all, I was just the average little girl.
Puberty struck late and while I had high hopes that I had some sort of condition that would render me infertile and without the hassles of overt menstruation (totally unfair, by the way, and astonishingly uncommon within the animal kingdom), I was not blessed in that regard. While I did not like puberty, still nothing was particularly of note until a few months back from present.
The reason I am questioning my gender is threefold. One, I have really wanted to cut my hair short for years and did get a haircut that was above my chin but below my ears. That is not the reason per se. A friend warned me beforehand that I would look like a teenage boy, and I cheerfully replied I would not mind that, but really that was part of the reason I wanted a shorter haircut. However, as you might have foreseen, having a shorter haircut did not make me look like a boy, just a girl with a bob. I have never been what you would call vain, many days I do not even brush my hair when I roll out of bed and I have never so much as touched makeup despite viewing those adept in the art with a sort of reverential admiration. But in the weeks following I became acutely aware of the femininity of my features, and obsessed with framing my hair just right to sharpen them. I liked the look of my shadow but despite externally appearing to be a reincarnated Narcissus, I did not think the part nor like what I saw in my reflection. I would say I have a healthy self esteem otherwise, and I would chalk this up to just an aesthetic fancy if it were not for the other things in the aforementioned tricolon.
Secondly, I learnt my cup size. I went to a bra shop and they measured me, telling me a size I now realise is incorrect but then devestated me. I researched the specificites of the numbering system to discover that apparently I was perfectly average (not true, but I believed as much), and then proceeded to casually look over the details of breast reduction surgery. Previously I had always foolishly assumed that my chest was "essentially" flat, any curvature negligible, but from that point forth I have had a penchant for baggy clothes, layers, and sports bras.
Thirdly, a song about being trans popped up on my YouTube home page, titled "They Will Bury Me a Woman". I do not usually cry at 3 hour long movied but I did cry at this 3 minute song. Not all that strange, but I cried again at the rewatch, then the third watch, then the fourth. I felt oddly seen and that, as little as it sounds, was the catalyst.
Maybe it is a social contagion or rapid onset dysphoria. But I really wish I were a cis boy. I wish I had a flat chest, fuzzy body hair, a deep resounding voice, and a penis. I do not know why I feel this way. But I have pictured myself as a man to fall asleep for months at this point, before I ever questioned my gender. I feel good when people call me "he" online despite the fact it is male defaultist. I think I might be trans.
Except, my dad thinks this sort of thing is all nonsense and my mother has not yet gotten her head around the fact I like women exclusively yet. And I do not feel an overwhelming, life-or-death desire to be a dude like so many people describe. I have been in trans online communities for years as an ally and maybe I am just acting out the stories I have read? I really do not know. I have a supportive friend who is bigender but she is also trying to figure things out. I really need an outside opinion. I am aware that nobody here is a medical professional and cannot diagnose me with gender dysphoria and the like, but still.
I am 15 and possibly a dude, but I do not think there were many signs when I was a kid. I apologise if any of this sounds overdramatic or excessively verbose.
When my age was in the single digits, I was quite feminine in the stereotypical ways. I liked the colour pink, I liked wearing dresses, and I did not think too hard about my gender but I was a little feminist at heart. There were some things that were amiss, like, sorry if I am being crude, I was under the impression I had a micropenis before being aware of the term or of basic biology for the matter. Nonetheless, I was half convinced that I had the "boy bits" and that the doctors must have missed something. If you really squint and look for signs, with a healthy dose of confirmation bias on your side, I did tend to idolise male fictional characters and notably insisted on roleplaying a male character rather than a female one, but that is a perfectly ordinary quirk of childhood you would not bat an eye at. All in all, I was just the average little girl.
Puberty struck late and while I had high hopes that I had some sort of condition that would render me infertile and without the hassles of overt menstruation (totally unfair, by the way, and astonishingly uncommon within the animal kingdom), I was not blessed in that regard. While I did not like puberty, still nothing was particularly of note until a few months back from present.
The reason I am questioning my gender is threefold. One, I have really wanted to cut my hair short for years and did get a haircut that was above my chin but below my ears. That is not the reason per se. A friend warned me beforehand that I would look like a teenage boy, and I cheerfully replied I would not mind that, but really that was part of the reason I wanted a shorter haircut. However, as you might have foreseen, having a shorter haircut did not make me look like a boy, just a girl with a bob. I have never been what you would call vain, many days I do not even brush my hair when I roll out of bed and I have never so much as touched makeup despite viewing those adept in the art with a sort of reverential admiration. But in the weeks following I became acutely aware of the femininity of my features, and obsessed with framing my hair just right to sharpen them. I liked the look of my shadow but despite externally appearing to be a reincarnated Narcissus, I did not think the part nor like what I saw in my reflection. I would say I have a healthy self esteem otherwise, and I would chalk this up to just an aesthetic fancy if it were not for the other things in the aforementioned tricolon.
Secondly, I learnt my cup size. I went to a bra shop and they measured me, telling me a size I now realise is incorrect but then devestated me. I researched the specificites of the numbering system to discover that apparently I was perfectly average (not true, but I believed as much), and then proceeded to casually look over the details of breast reduction surgery. Previously I had always foolishly assumed that my chest was "essentially" flat, any curvature negligible, but from that point forth I have had a penchant for baggy clothes, layers, and sports bras.
Thirdly, a song about being trans popped up on my YouTube home page, titled "They Will Bury Me a Woman". I do not usually cry at 3 hour long movied but I did cry at this 3 minute song. Not all that strange, but I cried again at the rewatch, then the third watch, then the fourth. I felt oddly seen and that, as little as it sounds, was the catalyst.
Maybe it is a social contagion or rapid onset dysphoria. But I really wish I were a cis boy. I wish I had a flat chest, fuzzy body hair, a deep resounding voice, and a penis. I do not know why I feel this way. But I have pictured myself as a man to fall asleep for months at this point, before I ever questioned my gender. I feel good when people call me "he" online despite the fact it is male defaultist. I think I might be trans.
Except, my dad thinks this sort of thing is all nonsense and my mother has not yet gotten her head around the fact I like women exclusively yet. And I do not feel an overwhelming, life-or-death desire to be a dude like so many people describe. I have been in trans online communities for years as an ally and maybe I am just acting out the stories I have read? I really do not know. I have a supportive friend who is bigender but she is also trying to figure things out. I really need an outside opinion. I am aware that nobody here is a medical professional and cannot diagnose me with gender dysphoria and the like, but still.